Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

AC NOISES THAT SHOULDN'T BE!

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2007, 12:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC NOISES THAT SHOULDN'T BE!

I HAVE AN 02 SIVERADO WITH THE 5.3 V8. IT HAS STARTED MAKING NOISE WHEN THE AC IS ON. I HAVE REPLACED THE TENSIONERPULLEY AND BELT. IT ONLY MAKES THE NOISE WHEN THERE IS SOME SORT OF PULL ON THE ENGINE (IE: TAKING OFF). I'VE WATCHED AS THE MOTOR REVS IT APPEARS THAT THE TENSIONER IS GIVING AND THE BELT IS SLAPPING THE TRANSMISSION LINES. SO I TIED THEM OUT OF THE WAY AND IT STILL MAKES THE NOISE. I'VE CHECKED THE PULLEY STRENGTH AGAINST A NEW ONE AND IT'S THE SAME. ANY ADVICE OR HELP YOU CAN OFFER WOULD BE GREAT. I'M AT MY WITTS END!
Old March 24th, 2007, 12:26 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: AC NOISES THAT SHOULDN'T BE!

PLEASE Someone answer this question, I have the same problem, and it's getting warmer outside!
Old April 5th, 2007, 3:16 PM
CF Beginner

Well, sorry to tell youI have found out that it is the ac compressor. Your going to have to replace it. It sucks cause they are high, but that is inded the problem. Best of luck to ya!
Old April 5th, 2007, 4:37 PM
CF Active Member

Yep you will have to replace the compressor, because you havent used the ac in a while and the clutch froze up.

Good luck
Old April 7th, 2007, 4:12 AM
art
CF Junior Member

I had a similiar problem and replaced the idler pulley and tensioner pulley but it didn't help. I then replaced the tensioner itself and that fixed the problem. I guess the tensioner had lost some spring strength and was letting the belt get too loose.
Old April 7th, 2007, 7:01 PM
CF Senior Member

If the air conditioning still works which I will assume it does the compressor is not froze. You should hear the belt slide over the pulley in that situation. I would agree with art, that seems like a very logical explination. Especially if it sounds like it is slapping something. It is also hard to tell how much pressure that a new one has compared to an old one. It may seem the same but on a running engine they recive a lot of force.
Old April 17th, 2007, 12:28 AM
CF Junior Member

Have a technician check your air gap in your compressor clutch and the clutch pulley. You may have bearings going out. Instead of rebuilding the compressor they may just recommend selling you a new one to save you money on labor.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 9:33 PM
CF Beginner

there is a updated a/c compressor for the stock one builds up to much head pressure in the unit
so replaced unit with a gm updated unit there is no recall on the a/c just a update