Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 6:40 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Acceleration delay - 2009 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2010, 9:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acceleration delay - 2009 Silverado

Has anyone experienced a delay in acceleration with your Silverado?
I have noticed that my 2009 Silverado will do this every once in a while.
I checked for TSB's but didn't find anything.

I have owned about 5 silverado's/sierra's and I've never had this problem before.
Hoping someone can confirm this problem and possibly point me to a fix/tsb.
I have talked to a friend who is experiencing the same issue. He mentioned that it happens a lot when he accelerates through a corner.
Mine seems to be doing it from a dead stop/take off.
I run Shell 87 octane almost all of the time.

Thanks!
Old February 15th, 2010, 2:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happens to me sometimes, usually when I come out of a slow turn, EX: I leave for work bout 2PM everyday, traffic is always horrible. When I make my right turn, i can't floor it, I'd spin if i did. So I'll come out of my Apartment, take my right turn, the trans will shift, then when I straighten out, I floor it, and it hesitates, feels like its searching for gears, then it will downshift after bout 3seconds, and take off. To me its normal, its just how my truck is geared.
Old February 16th, 2010, 1:41 AM
CF Beginner

I get the same behavior in my 09. Seems to be looking for which gear to go into especially after coming around a slow turn. I believe this is because they switched to a six speed transmission for the 09s as opposed to the traditional 4 speed. Not faulting the choice, and thankful for the extra gas mileage but the shift behavior seems more like a car, aka waiting for a downshift under mild acceleration. I haven't seen any tsb's about this, and this may be normal. With time, I guess you just get used to it and your driving habits change accordingly, but I must admit that it did catch me off guard the first time it happened to me.
Old February 16th, 2010, 9:38 AM
CF Beginner

Mine sounds a little different.
The engine never gets gas during this hesitation. It isn't searching for gears.

It acts just like you never pushed the accelerator.
I called Chevy and they left me a message to call back.
Let's see what happens.
Old February 16th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be slipping? but it doesnt really could like it is
Old February 25th, 2010, 1:09 PM
CF Beginner

What you are experiencing is a combination of safegaurds GM now programs in to these trucks so they can market ther 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. " Torque Management " prevents full power from reaching the ground with delays that are programmed to your vehicles computers. ( ECM and TCM ) You can have these delays removed with tuners that are available for purchase or have "Blackbear Tune" do it in person. GM will void your powertrain warranty if they catch it while performing warranty work to your drivetrain. There is nothing wrong with your truck. Its just being held back by computer programs designed to keep you from putting too much power to your drivetrain components. Without these safegaurds,GM could not warranty your drivetrain for 100,000 miles.
Old March 1st, 2010, 7:14 PM
CF Beginner

My 09 does that all the time. It frustrates me to no end. The GM garage said it's due to the electronic throttle b/s. Between it acting so sluggish all the time and the transmission slipping and clunking, I'm really disapointed with it. Even with that new 6-speed I'm still only getting 12 mpg roughly. But that may be due to the simple fact that I'm only 20 and I tend to drive aggressivley.
Old March 9th, 2010, 3:36 PM
CF Beginner

According to the in dash readout, this truck is doing pretty well on the gas mileage heavychevy. Do you have a 6 liter? Mine is a 5.3 and I'm getting an average of 16.3 running 87 octane with Valvoline full synthetic oil and mostly in town driving.
Old March 20th, 2010, 11:42 AM
CF Beginner

A good way to help eliminate the "lag" problem, is right before you get on the gas take your foot off the accelerator. I experience this same problem alot when I'm passing someone or merging onto a interstate. But if I lift off the pedal then immediatley apply the gas, it's like it instantly drops down a gear and takes off.
Old October 15th, 2013, 11:26 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2011 6.0
Run 93 octane and it does the same. I can be going 40 mph get into the peddle and it seems to bog down a little, downshift, then take off. It makes me so mad.. I have a delta force 10 serries flowmaster. So you can hear it too. So its the factory limiters as mentioned above? Would love to hear more about removing this..

Quick Reply: Acceleration delay - 2009 Silverado