Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Advice needed: Valve job, new heads, or reman. engine?

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2014, 12:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed: Valve job, new heads, or reman. engine?

My 2000 K2500 suddenly developed a shake, rough running, and low power. I replaced the spark plugs and wires, cap and rotor. Cleaned the MAF sensor, checked the EGR and PCV valves, and the air filter. Finally brought it to the shop thinking that I might have a failing fuel pump. They turned up no compression on cylinder 5 and are putting together an estimate for a full valve job.

Is that the best way to go? From my basic searching, I know it's likely to be expensive. Would it be better to bite the bullet and go with new heads altogether? Or *gulp* just go all in with a re-manufactured engine?

I like the truck, but am not in love with it. And it doesn't get much use - occasional light work with moving hay bales, bags of feed, etc. It's not often I need to rely on the full power of this 3/4 ton. Still, it's in pretty good shape and only has about 116,000 miles on it.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited by MissionValley; April 2nd, 2014 at 9:32 PM.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 1:55 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Run a couple of cans of GM Top Engine Cleaner thru 'er. I've cured more "no compression" engines by doing so.

Allan