Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

aftermarket exhuast

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2010, 12:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket exhuast

i just bought a 06 chevy silverado crew cab the check engine light is on the seller said it has to do with the aftermarket exhuast system is there any thing i can do to make it go away so i know if there is a problem elsewere
thanks
Old August 25th, 2010, 6:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get/borrow an obd2 scanner and get the codes. start there.
Old August 30th, 2010, 8:51 AM
CF Beginner

found the code is a p0332 knock sensor bank 2 i cleared the code and it came back a day later so does the glass pack on the exhaust system cause this ?
Old September 7th, 2010, 12:35 PM
CF Beginner

SLberg,
I also have a 06 Silverado and I am throwing the same code for the bank #2 knock sensor. I brought it to my mechanic after I had the exhaust manifold bolts replaced by the dealer under warranty and he said that it would be about $150 to replace the sensor. How many miles do you have on your truck?
Old September 7th, 2010, 7:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi SLberg,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

The Knock Sensors (or Anti-Knock Sensors, depending on if you're Catholic or Protestant) are located under the intake manifold. There's two of them. You'll also need an intake manifold gasket kit to complete assembly after the knock sensor replacement.

While the CO sensors in the exhaust might have something to do with an aftermarket exhaust, the knock sensors have nothing to do with the exhaust, they only help govern spark advance.
Old September 10th, 2010, 2:11 PM
CF Beginner

i have 109,000 mile therewolf so your saying replace the knock sensor and my check engine will go away also im getting 15 mhg mostly hiway will this help that?
Old September 11th, 2010, 5:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You should come up with a trouble code" Low voltage, knock-sensor Bank #___"(1, or 2)

You have two sensors, I'd replace them both, as you probably don't want to rip the intake manifold apart again any time soon.

My Knock Sensors started acting up at @78K, whoever had the truck before you may have reset the CEL without replacing the sensors. In which case it just comes back on in a few thousand miles.

I can't personally vouch for anybody else's MPG, the knock sensors really only keep the engine from knocking under hard acceleration and deceleration.