Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Ants Ants Ants!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2011, 11:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ants Ants Ants!!!

I have an immaculately clean 2005 Silverado which ants seem to love. They are on the outside only, but they freak people out because 30 to 50 black and red ants on a white pickup really stand out. There are no trails, so I can't tell where they're coming from or going to. I've check areas at the base of the windshield and the front quarter panels where leaves can accumulate and have confirmed that they are clean. I don't park under a tree. I don't park on dirt. The bed is clean.

My wife refuses to drive it because of the ants. I'm still trying to decide if that's a bad thing.

Any thoughts about where ants may nest on the outside of a silverado?
Old May 15th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

How strange... are they in a random pattern or do they look like they are going some place?
Are they winged?
Could be attracted to the wax you use?
Old May 16th, 2011, 7:25 AM
CF Beginner

They are in random locations everywhere. No winged ants, just the regular ones. While being attracted to wax is a good theory, I don't use wax, so that's not it. And it's rained sereral times since I last washed it, so it's unlikely to be any soap residue either.

I'm thinking there has got to be a nest somewhere on the body, but I just can't find it. I tried speading Amdron around under the truck, but that did nothing.
Old May 16th, 2011, 8:08 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. stop eating inside
2. stop drinking inside, especially sodas.
3. NO food inside.
4. buy St.Gabriel Organics Bug Shooter and spray truck inside. 100% pure organic bug repellent.
5. no matter what you do, if you will have any food leftovers inside, especially drinks with sugar - they will come back. been there. hence, CLEAN THE TRUCK INSIDE. everywhere, esp under the seats, carpet, etc.

btw, vinegar also works.
Old May 17th, 2011, 7:35 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
1. stop eating inside
2. stop drinking inside, especially sodas.
3. NO food inside.
4. buy St.Gabriel Organics Bug Shooter and spray truck inside. 100% pure organic bug repellent.
5. no matter what you do, if you will have any food leftovers inside, especially drinks with sugar - they will come back. been there. hence, CLEAN THE TRUCK INSIDE. everywhere, esp under the seats, carpet, etc.

btw, vinegar also works.
I thought that stating it is immaculately clean implied it was clean. For the record, the inside is very very clean. No food in it now, never left food in it, no soda spills, drips, etc. The truck has been kept very clean prior to the ants and is still kept very clean. Clean under the seats, clean behind the seats. The ants are on the outside only! They are not interested in the inside. They are on the outside only. I assure you it is not a problem of food left in the truck. I understand where you're coming from and it's probably the most common reason for ants in a vehicle, but not this one.

I've gone a a sqashing rampage over the last day or two and have made a significant dent in the population, but don't know if I can fully wipe out the colony this way.

P.S. If anyone else is reading this looking for ant solutions for the inside of vehicles, I've also heard black pepper will repel ants.
Old May 17th, 2011, 10:03 AM
CF Active Member

The ants you have aren't particularly attracted to food. I believe ants need water, so if you can park in a dry area for awhile that may help. I also have had luck with diamatecious (spelling?) earth. They don't like crossing it. So if you spread a bag around the area where you park your truck you could starve them out.
An outside possibility is heat. I am not sure if it works on ants, but I don't see why not. Park in your garage or an enclosed area and run a space heater long enough to heat the space to 120 degrees for a few hours. This kills bedbugs, but you should ask around if it works on ants.
Old May 17th, 2011, 10:12 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey, no offense intended. eating and drinking soft drinks inside is so common that it comes to mind first. especially after i had my SUV flooded with ants in AL once. and that was in a generally VERY CLEAN vehicle. but i was driving a lot, and kept huge thermal soda mug behind the passenger seat, on the floor, to sip on it during long trips.

what we consider "clean" insects may consider an all inclusive resort with free buffet.

but if you do not have them inside - then there's something on the outside that attracts them. if it's not food - and they eat about anything - then it's smells. my first guess will be - wax. it's an organic compound, and may attract insects. rats eat tires, as some tires have organic compounds in rubber that attracts them.

speaking of smells.. ok, you do not eat inside. but you do use shampoos, soaps, lotions, hair spray, etc? i am yet to see an American that does not.

or, maybe you park right dead in the center of what they consider THEIR domain?

out of curiosity, park truck place else and park a different car in the same place. see what happens.

i honestly do not believe that by killing few hundred, you will rid of the issue. more will come, if the trigger factor is still there.
Old May 17th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd have to go with are they always in the same or similar place or are they just anywhere on the vehicle?
check underneath real good to make sure you have not snagged a bag of trash or food wrapped around the drive shaft or tossed and lodged in the undercarriage somewhere...being wet would definitely keep it tasty for them...
Old May 18th, 2011, 8:06 AM
CF Beginner

I have some diatomacious earth so I'll give that a try.

I used to park another car in the same spot for years with no ant problems. Now that same car is parked right behind the pickup and still has no ant problems. The ants seem to stay with the pickup where ever I put it. It doesnt get used very much, so that may have something to do with it. Perhaps they like consistency.

While I don't see anything underneath the truck, I'm thinking its time to take it to a car wash and blast the underside thoroughly.

A little history... It was a farm truck. Before I got the truck (6 months ago) , it was sitting under a tree virtually undriven for 2 years. It had ants on it when I got it as well as daddy longlegs under the hood and a wasp nest in the door frame. The ants, if they're the same colony, have had a long time to establish a nest.