Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 11:49 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

Bedsides warping and denting!!

Search this Thread

Old October 22nd, 2010, 7:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bedsides warping and denting!!

I have a 2008 Silverado and when I bought it used ( 9 months old w/ 12000 mi) there were a couple of warping type dents in one of the bedsides. I saw it in a couple other Silverados that I looked at before I bought mine as well!! Now that I have had it for more than a year, both bedsides are starting to get these and they are starting to get bad!! I also have a friend that bought a new 09, and his is doing it bad as well. I have been asking the dealership if they have heard anything on this, and even showed it to them on my truck and a used 08 that they had on the lot. Anyone else seeing this?? You might look at your bedsides above the rear wheels. Thanks
Old October 22nd, 2010, 9:15 AM
CF Veteran

Default dents

it is a common malady Chevy has had especially on 99- up trucks the steel is a lot thinner than the old body style and they have had some cracking problems when heavy tool boxes are mounted .
they even went as far as offering special reinforcement brackets for the top of the box between Adrian steel tool boxes ,which were offered through gm when you bought a new truck . you could do as little as just propping your elbow's and leaning on them and you could dent the top of the bed .i used to sell truck accessories and sold a lot of stainless steel and plastic bed caps to cover damage and keep from causing damage .
Old October 30th, 2010, 10:28 AM
CF Beginner

Hey old dog, I would like your opinion. I have 2007 NBS Silverado short bed with under rail plastic GM bed liner. Original owner removed camper shell leaving waves/dents in top bed rail where hold down clamps were used. What brand/type rail cover do you recommend? My first thought was to locate a used over the rail bed liner. Thanks..
Old October 30th, 2010, 1:32 PM
CF Veteran

Thumbs up dents

depend how you are using the truck ,with or with out a cover of any type ,but i like plastic covers with the bed pocket holes in them and use a relatively flush stake pocket anchor to hold them on .the plastic cap's are typically held on with self adhesive double sided tape ,that work's pretty good as long as all the wax is off the surface ,the stake pocket anchors are little bit more of expensive but they will not let the caps fly off when the tape doesn't stick .
plus the penda brand hida-hooks give you a anchor point you can lash down a tarp ,ect. the plastic caps give good scratch resistance also ,they make stainless steel one's if shiney is your bag also lot of people make them .
i would go with a over the rail liner stay with the caps we used to put them on all the time for used car dealer's to cover damage . i like wade brand plastic caps wilmore ,deezee and putco make excellent stanless steel .
Old October 31st, 2010, 12:36 AM
CF Beginner

Smile

Thanks old dog, I plan to leave bed w/o cover. Are you saying not to look for over the rail bed liner? Just install Wade brand plastic rail caps with Penda brand hida-hooks stake pocket anchors for added support? Just looking to get it correct the first time.. Thanks again...
Old October 31st, 2010, 7:10 AM
CF Veteran

Default warping & denting

yeah i don't like over the rail liners ,the upper rail is raised up and leaves a edge that tends to rub a line into the paint .with the caps and hide a hooks it holds the cap's flush with the top .
also the under rail liner will naturally be closer to the bed walls leaving more room inside the bed .the hide a hooks are not a substitute for using the tie down loops in the bed they will hold more weight and are stronger . the top of the bed is not to stiff ,i have seen them pull inwards if you lash the hide a hook's down to tight ,and pinch the tail gate to were it open wright .
Old October 31st, 2010, 10:15 AM
CF Beginner

Smile

Ok, I have full understanding and it sounds correct. Keep the under rail bed liner, install plastic rail cap's with Penda brand hida-hooks stake pocket anchors. Thanks old dog, much appreciated!
Old October 31st, 2010, 2:12 PM
CF Veteran

no problem ,have a good halloween !