Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Best Exhaust for 5.3

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2011, 8:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Exhaust for 5.3

I have a 03 z71. Right now it has some grandpa flowmaster muffler (1 in, 2 out). I want to have something deeper and louder put on but don't know that much about exhaust options. Everybody around here has straights with cats and it sounds good but I want something different... Any suggestions? I wanna keep decent gas mileage and power....
Old May 31st, 2011, 9:58 PM
CF Beginner

Throw some long tube headers on it if possible, if not shorties, true duals with flowmaster outlaw race mufflers with high flow cats if your going the legal route.
Old June 1st, 2011, 7:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

flows blow...if you want it loud and don't want straights, get dialed dynomax bullets or 12" glasspacks. I've got 2 12" glasspacks true dualed and you know when I hit the gas. just be sure if you get glasspacks to "pop" em to mellow them out a tiny little bit
Old June 2nd, 2011, 7:58 AM
CF Beginner

Yeah, I was thinking Glasspacks too, but I don't know much about them. Aren't there 2 different types?
Old June 2nd, 2011, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

all glasspacks are basically the same...just the size is what makes them different
Old June 2nd, 2011, 8:37 PM
CF Beginner

True go glasspacks if you want a "genereic" loud truck sound.. Overdone by everyone. Hit up some legit headers and see if people don't notice your truck when under power. Ive got longtube headers with the flow race mufflers, which don't suck because they are hollow, and all you hear is the nasty longtube, loudtube by some, raw sound. It's much better than any truck with glasspacks haha
Old June 3rd, 2011, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

flowmasters have been proven to be terrible in the flow department....have you cracked one open? the 2 chamber ones have so many barriers i guess you'd say that the air has to go around before it actually comes out...glasspacks flow straight out, they just don't provide a lot of back pressure thats the only downside of them

We put a flow master super 44 on my brothers 5.3 tahoe and it felt like it had less power than the stock muffler then put a straight through magnaflow glasspack on it and it opens up much better now
Old June 3rd, 2011, 4:48 PM
CF Beginner

I'm not talking about flowmaster super 44's, they are the dual chamber like you said which does provide for a restriction in air flow. I'm talking about flowmaster's outlaw race muffler, which is hollowed out nearing a glasspack but doesn't have that crap sound like most trucks with them. You put some outlaw race mufflers with longtube headers on your truck, which I have, and I'm guaranteeing a loud, powerful non-repetitive sound like most trucks go with.
Old June 3rd, 2011, 7:42 PM
Super Moderator

i'm talkin bout what most people put on their trucks...super 44s, super 40 and all the other kind they have. put true dual 8" glasspacks on a truck and with 2.5" pipin it'll be louder than your truck guaranteed plus the longtube headers like you have and people 2 miles away will know you've just punched the gas

Had a friend with a 6.0 and 2 12" glasspacks and bout 1.5 miles away he stomped on it and you could hear him loud and clear
Old June 4th, 2011, 9:02 AM
CF Beginner

How much does the whole header set up cost compared to the others?

Quick Reply: Best Exhaust for 5.3