Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Bought my first Silverado have some questions?

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2009, 3:30 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been hearing alot about tuning out the torque management lately, I may get this done soon, I want all shes got sometimes, passing, getting up to the flow on freeway ramps etc..

Its not a power tune is it, it just eliminates the Torque Management right? I dont want worse mileage, just full power if I need to get on it.

Does the tow button tighten up the torque at all? I like how it shifts, but cant tell if its getting more power.

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; September 26th, 2009 at 3:37 PM.
Old September 26th, 2009, 6:48 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Sigmond
I have been hearing alot about tuning out the torque management lately, I may get this done soon, I want all shes got sometimes, passing, getting up to the flow on freeway ramps etc..

Its not a power tune is it, it just eliminates the Torque Management right? I dont want worse mileage, just full power if I need to get on it.

Does the tow button tighten up the torque at all? I like how it shifts, but cant tell if its getting more power.
when someone mentions a tune, it usually is a tune for increased performance, which is shift points, tq management, abuse mode, timing, and a whole lot of other factors. that being said, a tune doesnt neccessarily decrease your mpg, it can increase it some or it can stay the same. the only true thing to either increase or decrease your mpg is how hard you smash the skinny pedal.

if you have a half ton, i would not go more than 80% TM reduced, mainly because the 4l60 is a weak transmission. however, i have seen several 4l60's blow up with just granpa driving and all stock, and have seen several last well over 125K miles beating the living crap out of them. i would upgrade the trans with a corvette servo, it will help firm up the 1-2 shift but not make it extremely harsh.

tow haul mode, changes the shift points and shift firmness, but i believe it does remove a little more TM. im not 100% on that. most tuners can turn it into a "race" mode button if you dont do any heavy towing.

have a good one.
Old September 26th, 2009, 6:51 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by JohnD17
thanks for all the info the computer being the source of the lower power makes a lot of sense don't get me wrong the truck has power I just drove so many of them over the last two weeks and some had more power. I have been driving the truck for a few days now and I am happier now then I was the day I got it. I think I am going to put some 265/75-r16 BFG AT KO tires on it soon i will post before and after pics when i do.
maybe you drove one with the 8.1 and didnt realize it? LOL

anyways, email justin @ blackbear, he will hook you up.
Old September 26th, 2009, 7:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Another way to go on diff ratio is your glovebox RPO codes. "gt5" would be 410 gears. 2100 RPM at 60MPH doesn't sound right for 410s with a 4L80E tranny. Perhaps you've got the new six-speed automatic transmission.
Old September 26th, 2009, 7:47 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by bad2006z71
when someone mentions a tune, it usually is a tune for increased performance, which is shift points, tq management, abuse mode, timing, and a whole lot of other factors. that being said, a tune doesnt neccessarily decrease your mpg, it can increase it some or it can stay the same. the only true thing to either increase or decrease your mpg is how hard you smash the skinny pedal.

if you have a half ton, i would not go more than 80% TM reduced, mainly because the 4l60 is a weak transmission. however, i have seen several 4l60's blow up with just granpa driving and all stock, and have seen several last well over 125K miles beating the living crap out of them. i would upgrade the trans with a corvette servo, it will help firm up the 1-2 shift but not make it extremely harsh.

tow haul mode, changes the shift points and shift firmness, but i believe it does remove a little more TM. im not 100% on that. most tuners can turn it into a "race" mode button if you dont do any heavy towing.

have a good one.
I have the 3/4 ton 6.0 with the HD trans, 4.10 rear end with 80,000 on it, Thanks for your opinion. Dont get me wrong, I drive this thirsty beast like miss daisy but having the drivetrain run without factory restrictions would be nice, I can care less for power tunes beyond the way its designed to run and all that stuff.

All I am asking is if my truck has tuned itself down over that last 6 years because of driving habits or whatever Id like to get that out & have it run/tuned the way it did when I bought it new. I understand wear & tear plays a factor as well but if its my ECM that is making it run more managed I will take the time & $$ to do a reprogram of the ECM.

have a good one.
Likewise, you too.

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; September 26th, 2009 at 7:49 PM.
Old September 27th, 2009, 9:34 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Mike Sigmond
I have the 3/4 ton 6.0 with the HD trans, 4.10 rear end with 80,000 on it, Thanks for your opinion. Dont get me wrong, I drive this thirsty beast like miss daisy but having the drivetrain run without factory restrictions would be nice, I can care less for power tunes beyond the way its designed to run and all that stuff.

All I am asking is if my truck has tuned itself down over that last 6 years because of driving habits or whatever Id like to get that out & have it run/tuned the way it did when I bought it new. I understand wear & tear plays a factor as well but if its my ECM that is making it run more managed I will take the time & $$ to do a reprogram of the ECM.

Likewise, you too.
in that case 100% TM could be removed without issue.

if you are not worried about performance, then you can unhook the battery for like 30mins and it will reset. but it will not remove any TM or abuse mode. and it will learn your driving style over again.

id say get the tune, ive never heard of anyone being dissapointed with a good tune.
Old September 27th, 2009, 9:36 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by rivereye
Another way to go on diff ratio is your glovebox RPO codes. "gt5" would be 410 gears. 2100 RPM at 60MPH doesn't sound right for 410s with a 4L80E tranny. Perhaps you've got the new six-speed automatic transmission.
its a 2007 classic, which is the same as a 2006 model, still has the 4l80. the new 6speed is suppose to be nice, both half ton and 3/4 ton

could have non factory tire size that could throw the calc off, but also remember, the factory gauges, other than the speedo, are not always correct, they can be off a little.
Old September 27th, 2009, 9:49 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

if you are not worried about performance, then you can unhook the battery for like 30mins and it will reset. but it will not remove any TM or abuse mode. and it will learn your driving style over again.

id say get the tune, ive never heard of anyone being dissapointed with a good tune.
I have a nice scanner that can do that, I will look into the tune.
Old September 27th, 2009, 10:26 PM
CF Beginner

its a 2007 classic, which is the same as a 2006 model, still has the 4l80. the new 6speed is suppose to be nice, both half ton and 3/4 ton

could have non factory tire size that could throw the calc off, but also remember, the factory gauges, other than the speedo, are not always correct, they can be off a little.
i have 245/75-r16 tires on the stock rims and that is the size on the door also the option tag in the glove box has MT1 = 4L80-E and GT5 = 4.10 and G80 = Limited Slip i don't think the 60 year old guy i bought it from changed anything and he was the original owner.
I am going to disconnect the battery after i get the tires and let it re-learn. I agree there is some room for error tire where alone can take a half inch off the tire size.

<O</OOh i was not able to figure out some of the option codes here is a pic of the label if any one can decode it that would be great.<O></O>

Attached Thumbnails Bought my first Silverado  have some questions?-option-codes.jpg  
Old September 27th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by JohnD17

<O</OOh i was not able to figure out some of the option codes here is a pic of the label if any one can decode it that would be great.<O></O>

Post your vin # in this thread and ShawnVW might be able to help you with that.

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/general-tech-10/please-look-up-my-vin-26181/

Quick Reply: Bought my first Silverado have some questions?