Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Broken cruise control H E L P !

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2009, 7:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken cruise control H E L P !

Hello, my Dad has a 2001 Silverado 2500 4x4 and he is having problems with his cruise control. The cruise control does not work at all. I would like to fix it for him as a Christmas present so I can't ask him any questions about it or else it will ruin the surprise.

Here is what information I do have. The third break light does work. When he took it to the dealer, the dealer quoted him $700 to fix it. I know it is not a lot of information but it might help. I didn't ask what the dealer told him what was broken. I thought he mentioned the computer was bad.

Does this sound like a cruise control module or maybe the lever switch? If this was a 50/50 guess between the two to fix the problem which would give me better odds?

I can not ask any questions as I might give away the surprise and I can't go check it for myself since he doesn't live near me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Elknoxious
Old December 5th, 2009, 9:14 AM
CF Beginner

Has anyone had there cruise control break before and if so what was the problem?

Elknoxious
Old December 5th, 2009, 2:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only issue I've had, and it's a recurring issue, every few weeks the cruise control will stop working when I hit the set button. Sometimes I just have to turn the truck off then back on, other times I have to disconnect the battery and reset the computer. I haven't had it checked out because I know it'll cost me and I'm not to worried bout cruise control. It's hard for us to help with so lil information, if it was going to cost 700 to fix it, my guess would be the cruise control module, but it maybe something as simple as a fuse.
Old December 7th, 2009, 8:01 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

80% of the time the problem is a bad cruise module
Old December 27th, 2009, 8:23 AM
CF Beginner

I also have a 2001 Chevrolet Silverado, my cruise control doesn't work. My friend who has a computer hooked it up and it shows that is it on and when he hits the set button it says it is engaged, but still doesn't work. My ABS light doesn't come on, but my ABS doesn't work, any suggestions??