Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Broken Wheel Stud

Search this Thread

Old September 21st, 2015, 6:20 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Broken Wheel Stud

I took my 2004 Silverado 1500 to Costco for my 5,000-mile tire rotation and balance -- included with the purchase of my four Michelin X radials more than four years ago (that still have well over half the tread remaining).

One of the lug nuts was "seized" to the wheel stud on my left-rear tire. They informed me about it and said that they had to break off the stud in order to remove the wheel (in order to rotate it). The tire center manager assured me that it would be okay until my next state inspection (February of 2016) and that I should get it fixed at that time.

He said that because I have six lugs on each wheel, I'd be fine. Were it a Hyundai Accent, Nissan Sentra or Ford Fiesta with four lugs, it would be more dangerous.

Has anyone else ever had this happen? How much does it cost for a shop to replace a wheel stud? I can't imagine they cost very much - as it is basically a long bolt.

Thanks!
Old September 21st, 2015, 7:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

I have not done one on this model.
all depends if they have clearance to hammer the old lug out and fit the new one it. do you have drum brakes or disc? they may have to remove some of the drum brake or if disc, e-brake shoes to fit the lug in.
best case scenario the bolt hammers out with only removing the drum or caliper and rotor. Worst case the rear diff cover and axle have to be slid out. my guess for labour time 0.5 hours to 1.0 hrs at what ever the door rate is.

are you missing your center caps? Gm uses good quality lugs that don't rust as long as the cap is present...that is its purpose. Its rare that one breaks unless its cross threaded. I 've never done one on a chevy truck.

Last edited by tech2; September 21st, 2015 at 7:06 PM.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 5:37 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was indeed a cross-threaded lug nut. The truck has disc brakes in the rear - not drums.

I guess I'll be forking out some ducats to get it fixed when my inspection is due, but I was pleased to know that it is safe to drive until then.

Thanks for the reply!