Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Bubbles in paint.....

Search this Thread

Old December 18th, 2007, 7:58 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bubbles in paint.....

I have a 99 Silverado that I bought last January. I got it cause it only had 60K on it, it was in my pricerange, and it was pretty clean. I noticed over the summer that small bubbles started to form in the paint on the cab corner on the passenger side. Some of them flaked off and the metal underneith wasn't blistered but orange in color. (I don't think the rust came from the inside out, looks like outside in to me, but Im not 100% sure). The paint was also coming off behind the rear wheels of the bed. But on the bed there was no orange haze or rust, just chipping paint. I think the bed is galvinized so I'm not too worried about that. Anyhow, it snowed here recently and after getting a few doses of salt I noticed more areas bubbling up. The door has a few tiny bubbles on the passenger side, the other cab corner has started and now the tailgate has a few small areas.

So my question is, on a limited budget what should I do? I'm willing to spend up to $1,000 but not much more than that. I'm looking to have a body shop do it as I have no garage.

1. Sand the areas down along with the bottom 5 inches of the entire truck, coat with rust inhibitor, repaint that portion of the truck.
2. Sand the areas down along with the bottom 5 inches of the entire truck, coat with rust inhibitor, repaint that portion of the truck but have them coat it with Rhino Liner or something to protect it from stone chips and salt.
3. Replace all the bad metal and repaint from the trim pieces down. (Costly)

Old December 23rd, 2007, 9:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bubbles in paint.....

Does not look like many people post over here.