Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Bugs!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old July 4th, 2009, 8:41 PM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bugs!!!!!!!!!!

Well here is an interesting problem...

I work at a golf course and therefore we start work at 5:30am every morning. Living in west Michigan like I do, there are A LOT OF BUGS! Less than a day or two of driving these roads in the mornings the entire front of my truck will be caked in bugs. I know it cannot be good for the radiator, and I don't want it to get plugged, so I have a couple of options in addition to the bug shield to keep them off of the hood:

1) Buy a screen that goes on the outside of the grille above and below the bowtie so that the bugs never even enter the engine bay

2) Get a screen to hang on the radiator itself that is unnoticable and I can clean it once or twice a summer.

I know that with number one I will have to a more in depth cleaning quite often, but I am more worried about the effectiveness.

Also, If anyone knows of a cheap site where I can find this stuff, It would be appreciated, the ones I have looked at are ridiculous. Bug guards for $70 and a $129 radiator screen!!
Old July 4th, 2009, 10:41 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

window screen from home depot? btw, bugs can plug radiator to the point of engine overheat.
personally, i don't give rats ars about looks, if it serves the purpose.

just had an idea. remove front grill, and attach screen from the inside, so no one can see it and duct tape works fine without being straight from Red Green show.
Old July 5th, 2009, 7:42 AM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds like a grand idea to me!

Next time I'm near home desperate I'll check on it