Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Buying a 2001 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab

Search this Thread

Old November 11th, 2010, 9:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 2001 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab

I am planning to buy a 2001 2500 Crew cab LS through Carmax, it has 83K on it they are shipping it to my local dealer. If it is in as excellent shape as the pics show, I will buy it.

I am being offerred a 6/150,000 year warrenty for $2000.

This is my first pick up, it will be an extra truck used for towing my boat and other projects. I will probably put less than 10k a year on it. Buying a 9 year old truck does make me nervous.

Do you Trucks experts think the warrenty is a good gamble? When things go on these trucks, what are the typical costs?

I have had about 4k of repairs on my 2008 Diesel GL Mercedes this year, that has prompted my interest in a warrenty.

Here is what it covers:
Engine
Transmission
Brakes
Electricle system(including window and lock motors)
Steering system
Front and rear wheel drives
Front and rear suspensions
Cooling system
Interior assemblies and controls
Air conditioning

Coverage is outlined here: http://www.carmax.com/enus/maxcare/default.html

I realize warrenties are a gamble. A waste if you never need them, or a savior if something big goes.

Based on what you guys know about older 3/4 ton Chevies, would you get it?
Old November 11th, 2010, 10:00 AM
CF Active Member

i have a 99 chevy 2500 with the 6.0 v8 and it has 250k miles on it and still runs great but these days the smallest of problems cost thousands for example my dad has a 03 1500hd witht e same motor and his ac (whole system) went hay wire cost him 2000$ to get the whole thing redone as long as your an easy going driver and dont floor it every were u go shouldnt have any problems but if i was u i would get the warenty exspecialy if u only use it for 10k miles a year thats about 7yrs of warenty that if anything goes wrong its covered
Old November 11th, 2010, 10:50 AM
CF Beginner

I think i would get the full 6 years from the warrenty. I also think it would be easy to blow through 2k in repairs over that time, a potentailly dodge a bigger bullet if there is a big issue with the truck

I also do no reapiars my self. I drop everything off at the dealer. Its not the cheapest way, but dealer do do things correctly and use factory parts.

If I was mechanically inclined, I would be less likely to buy it
Old November 11th, 2010, 9:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi Canvasback13,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

I've got a 2500HD, and IMO, I trust the truck a lot more than the warranty. The problem with a warranty is these trucks age and wear much slower than smaller trucks, but when they go, they do cost more.

There's three problems with warranties, the way I see it.

1. Your truck isn't going to automatically co-operate, and breakdown solely within the usable parameters of your warranty plan. Your truck could probably easily outrun the warranty mileage and time limits, only then leaving you to pay for the repairs out of pocket, post warranty. (Ouch.)

2. Your warranty will limit the flexibility of your repair options.

3. Money is the only paper which always pays for all repairs. If your warranty program has all your money, then you'll only have their paper, which isn't going to repair much, if anything, given the wrong circumstances.

FWIW, I prefer to keep my money in my pocket. Then, when and where my truck breaks down, I'm ready. The reason they sell warranties is because it's VERY profitable for THEM to do so.
Old November 11th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

I tend to agree with therewolf on the warranty prospective.... you could pay $2000 for the extended warranty and never use it or it not apply to what broke... or you could keep the $2000 set aside and pay for most any repair that is likely to come up if ever does....
The important part is really setting the 2000 aside and not blowing it on upgrades..

EDIT corrected amount
Old November 13th, 2010, 8:43 AM
CF Beginner

IMO, i wouldnt buy from carmax, you cant haggle with them at all. you pay the price on the car. everybody and their mom is trying to make money of that purchase. try to find what you are looking for a dealership used lot.