Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

cai

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2010, 8:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cai

opinions of cai's? volant, kn, gm, any others.
Old February 15th, 2010, 8:51 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All of them are a waste of money. They will not give any extra power that you can feel. A stock engine already takes in all the air it can use.
Old February 15th, 2010, 9:02 PM
CF Veteran

not to disagree with you but wouldnt the cai allow more air to enter the tb since the filter is unrestricted? unlike a stock intake that has a box and a hole to breathe in the air.
Old February 15th, 2010, 9:09 PM
CF Active Member

Intakes in a box are better i think. I mean you have a open box what is it sucking in? heat from under the hood. When you have a closed box the heat transfer is not as fast and it gets more air from outside. Just replace the stock filter with one from like in a CAI
Old February 15th, 2010, 9:13 PM
CF Veteran

so pretty much like a drop in filter? i was going to buy a kn awhile ago but i saw it was oiled. i had an air raid cai last year but got rid of it cuz my mpg dropped after i used a recharge kit for it. dealer said the oil was sticking to the maf sensor giving false readings so i put the stock intake back in.
Old February 15th, 2010, 9:15 PM
CF Active Member

yea that will do just about as much as the cai will
Old February 15th, 2010, 9:18 PM
CF Veteran

think the kn pre oiled drop in will give false readings to the maf sensor
Old February 15th, 2010, 9:24 PM
CF Active Member

I would look into getting one like AEM dryflow air filter. I personally dont like oiled air filters because if you put to much oil it can give you false readings like you said
Old February 15th, 2010, 9:26 PM
CF Veteran

aem sounds like a good choice.
Old February 15th, 2010, 11:28 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would also consider if you go in the mud. I have always used the K&N filter that fit in stock air intake box due to the fact it allows a little bit more air flow. You can clean it so there for it will last longer. And I have seen personally full CAI systems in the mud and its not a pretty site. My buddy went out got a 2006 Dodge 1500 Hemi TRX and wanted to go muddin with us. He put a CAI in it. When we were out he decided to be a idiot and not follow us (all in bigger trucks) go around a certain mud whole and went right through it. Well he ended up sucking water straight into his block and threw his number one piston rod. Punch a hole in the side of his block a little bigger then a quarter. It could still happen with a stock air intake system but is harder. If im not mistaken. Most stock air intake systems the water would have to go in then up through the filter and then continue through and into the engine. You get alot more protection from stuff like that happening with a factory AI system. I had another buddy put a CAI on his truck filter kept getting wet and was killin the engine and took it off a week later. Waster of $300

Quick Reply: cai