Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Cassettes and CDs? You Bet

Search this Thread

Old December 6th, 2015, 12:28 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cassettes and CDs? You Bet

You can always tell who's new to the forum by the insane number of questions they ask, right?

Today, after about three weeks of ownership, I took out a cassette tape and a CD to my 98 Silverado, and lo and behold, they both work. But, these days, nobody carries around cassettes and discs, so what I want to know is how I can plug my iPhone into the factory system. I've got the head unit with the cassette deck, and the factory CD player in the spot below the climate controls. Is there a way to plug the iPhone in, maybe using an accessory to break into the wiring from the CD player to the head unit?

If so, if anybody has any experience with this, what are the downsides? How does the head unit know there is a signal?
Old December 6th, 2015, 12:40 PM
CF Beginner

Don't know if you looked into it but there is the cassette adapter option. Not the best quality sound but it plays what you have on an mp3 player, iPod and such..
Old December 6th, 2015, 5:41 PM
CF Junior Member

I guess that's one way to go, and there's always the little FM transmitter that you plug the phone into. I had heard of an adaptor that went into the wiring between the CD player and the head unit, and wondered how it works, because the CD player seems to have to be working before the head unit recognizes it.