Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

cb radio thread

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2011, 9:51 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cb radio thread

i wasnt sure where to post this.

i am looking to replace my cb, i have no range at all, like maybe a half mile.

this is the antenna i have RadioShack® Stainless Steel Mobile CB Antenna - RadioShack.com

will those work good enough with a new cb? im planning on getting a midland 1001Z. any input will help. i drive alot of highway and it would be nice to be able to just talk to the truckers, and when im running with a buddy be able to talk to him. i cant do that now. does anyone have any experience with cb radios?
Old May 1st, 2011, 8:31 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before you buy a radio check and see where the truckers are talking, I dont hear them on 19 any more. You may need side band.
If the radio is putting out rated watts and the standing wave is adjusted in the antenae, thats about all you can do. A whole lot depends on terrain,obstructions,skip,and radio traffic. The farthest I ever talked mobile to mobile was 40 miles,but we both had linear amplifiers,which are illeagle and it was flat open ground.
Old May 6th, 2011, 7:04 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my best luck with the fiberglass style antennas. The height of your antenna is important and where you put it makes a big difference. The ideal place in in the center of your rig. This creates an even ground plane which allows the signal to radiate evenly in all directions. If you are not bit on putting a hole in your roof you can also mount two antennas side by side on the mirrors or hood that will do a good job.
The next thing you do is go to a cb shop or find someone that has an antenna signal tester. You then trim your coaxal cable or adjust your antenna to optimize how it works.