Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

CENTER CONSOLE SWAP

Search this Thread

Old November 13th, 2008, 8:56 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CENTER CONSOLE SWAP

i have 2000 silvie, LS extended cab 3 door. i know that newer models have a raised console, one that reaches above the armrests and creates a nice flat surface to rest forearm on.
anyone attempted to swap those onto a 2000? can just the upper part be swapped, or the whole entire console, because i have rear airducts built into it, and that might pose a problem to match. not that i ever used them, but in case of sale....
Old November 13th, 2008, 9:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: CENTER CONSOLE SWAP

Have you actually tried one? My 04 crewcab has one, and it's not all peaches and cream. Admittedly, there's a massive padded center armrest. Downside is, when you open the lid,(Which is the padded armrest.)it springs open, and then while upright, at a 90-degree angle to the storage compartment, your arm and elbow are blocked from reaching into the storage cubby. It seems great, until you have to get something out of the storage area while seated up front. I wound up taking the hinge apart so I can completely remove the lid to access things while in the driver's seat. Of course, if I wasn't built like a linebacker this might not be a problem. Try one before you go to that much trouble, you wouldn't want to find this out post-install, my friend.
Old November 13th, 2008, 11:20 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the 2000 and 2003+ consoles are completly different the air vents and ducts are completly different, it could go in there but you would have to change the right side of the lower dash around the glove box it would be alot of work but i understand why you ask cause it does suck my truck wasnt equiped originally but i added after the fact but i dont have the arm rests at all but im in the process of going to sierra denali seats and console to fix that i got the whole power seat setup heated memory loaded
Old November 14th, 2008, 9:02 PM
CF Senior Member

ORIGINAL: rivereye

Have you actually tried one? My 04 crewcab has one, and it's not all peaches and cream. Admittedly, there's a massive padded center armrest. Downside is, when you open the lid,(Which is the padded armrest.)it springs open, and then while upright, at a 90-degree angle to the storage compartment, your arm and elbow are blocked from reaching into the storage cubby. It seems great, until you have to get something out of the storage area while seated up front. I wound up taking the hinge apart so I can completely remove the lid to access things while in the driver's seat. Of course, if I wasn't built like a linebacker this might not be a problem. Try one before you go to that much trouble, you wouldn't want to find this out post-install, my friend.
thank you!! chilled me completely. i'll just stick a pillow on my shelf on the console.
Old November 15th, 2008, 1:27 AM
Super Moderator

I just kind of wish the thing hinged towards the passenger front seat. That would be the best of all worlds, for me.
Old November 15th, 2008, 9:32 AM
CF Senior Member

ORIGINAL: rivereye

I just kind of wish the thing hinged towards the passenger front seat. That would be the best of all worlds, for me.
can't it be re-hinged to the opposite side? of course, have no doubt, in its wisdom, GM made it so complex in hinges design that it might be impossible.....
mine opens fine, driver has full access. and it's only like a piano hinge with several screws. oh, i see now - the lock will need to be moved, right? hmmm, word velcro do hear i
Old November 16th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Right now I'm dealing with other issues, it's a little wonky, but it works fine for me, because I never have to raise it;-otherwiseall the stuff would fall out of the cubby onto the floor of the backseat from the unhinged side! But I'm in the process of upgrading my audio, installing a CB, replacing my injectors,etc, and I may be considering installing electronics where the cubby is(such as a new CD player) so I haven't made up my mind which move to make with the armrest as a whole, yet. For the time being, it functions satisfactorily.