Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Charging/Starting Problem Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old November 18th, 2014, 8:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Charging/Starting Problem Help!!!!

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Ext. Cab 5.3L V8. 242,278 Miles

About two months ago I started having problems with my truck starting. It has been all down hill since then.... At first it was a connection issue with the battery. After taking it off I found out that it was arcing on the positive side I believe and it caused the threads on the battery to strip out. So Easy fix. Got a New Battery. Then it Ran great for about a week.
Then I'm going down the Road and it starts sputtering. I try giving it some gas and nothing. So i pull over and cut it off. Try to start it back up again. and then it starts sputters real bad and then cuts out. So I had a friend tow me to the house. I get there and after looking around online determine its the fuel pump. Go buy a new fuel pump and install it. Perfect. Truck ran better than ever for about a month.

Then about 3 weeks ago it decided not to start. The battery kept dying. And its a brand new battery. went and had my Battery tested at AutoZone and they said its good. Then had them test my alternator. They said it was good but no output. Completely stumped on what it could be. They said maybe bad battery terminal connectors or a fuseable link may be bad. The truck had the alternator replaced maybe 5 years ago. A couple before i got it. I had a friend tell me that it was bad because it was magnetized and they probably got a bad test. So I Went and ordered a cheap alternator offline. The one they sent was for a different engine size and i made sure to specify. That one is on the way back now. I went to Advanced Auto Parts and picked one up a re-manufactured one for $96. Put that one in about 2 days ago and thought everything would be fine. After a jump i drove around all day as usual. it started right up and was fine all day. I was hopeful and thought i was done with it. Then yesterday morning i go out there and it wont start. I can sit there and it will turn over and over for probably as long as I hold the key. Sometimes it will fire up after a couple seconds of it turning over and then other times it wont at all. It seems like it has enough charge to start when i get in but i really haven't checked. when i go to turn the key it sounds good for the first second and then it stops or slows down and just start turning over really slowly. So I've been making it to work by the skin of my teeth since.

Long story short. The Battery is 2 Months old. The alternator on there now is 2 days old. It will slowly turn over and start sometimes. When I go To first start it up it sounds great for that first second and then slows/stops and then just slowly turns over. I really don't know what it could be. I'm going after work today to have them test my battery and my alternator again just to make sure. I'll re-post tonight on the results of those tests. A few Ideas i had are maybe the starter is bad and drawing too much amperage on start up. There is a short somewhere between that alternator and battery or there is a fuse draining it. Please help!! Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated!! Thank You.

Any other Information you need I'll be happy to provide.