Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Chevy 1500 Problems

Search this Thread

Old October 12th, 2010, 8:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you buy a vehicle and not have a mechanic check it out first? Buyer beware!!! It is up to the buyer to asses the alue of what they are buying. A seller is under no obligation to point out problems with what they are selling. On another note, a rebuilt tranny is not that much and not that hard to install yourself with a little help.
Old October 12th, 2010, 9:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, many thanks for your advices. I really appreciate it. I have learned my lesson and i will bring a friend who is mechanically inclined and make sure it is a good buy or not, the next time i choose to buy another truck/car.
Anyways here is an update:
Went to Canadian Tire because all other mechanics were too busy to take in cars.
The mechanic did a test drive and did notice that the truck didn't drive above 80 km/h and that it does have higher rpms than usual. He did plug it into his computer but he didn't see and tranny code or any other errors. So he left me at that! He couldnt determine what was going on, which was nice since now i wasted $56 for diagnostics.

Anyways, i picked it up at the end of the day, went to Lube City to do a transmission flush and added new fluids including engine oil. And guess what, now i Can drive much better and the transmission does go into higher gear. Drove it for awhile on the highway and so far so good.

But i do notice 1 thing though, it still does go into higher rpms than usual. At 50-60 km/h she goes at about 3-3500 rpms. And then 4000+rpms at 110km/h. Is that normal for a V8 Vortec engine though? Because i think that was what prevented from having the transmission from going into higher gear but it kinda improved after installing trans gasket + filter + flush + fluids.

Thank you all, please advise.
Old October 12th, 2010, 10:12 PM
CF Beginner

Old October 12th, 2010, 10:13 PM
CF Beginner

Oops sorry pics are super big lol. Anyways i hate the windshield sun visor, might wanna take it out, and would love to paint the truck black matte.
Old October 14th, 2010, 6:43 AM
CF Beginner

glad too hear everything worked out for you.by the way nice truck!not a bad way to spend $1500..
Old October 14th, 2010, 5:00 PM
CF Active Member

no that is still not normal, next time you get on the highway, go from a complete stop, count how many times it shifts, it should shift a total of 3 times, going from first to second, second to third and third to overdrive, it you are going 65-70 mph or around 110-120km/h, then you shouldnt be even above 3000rpm, if my theory is correct then your not getting into overdrive, so if im correct then youll only count 2 shifts, if im wrong then youll count 3

p.s. that truck is way to nice to have only paid $1500 for, i paid $2500 for mine and it was missing half the interior and had a tranny that was slipping, so regardless of if your tranny is still bad or not, you still got a nice truck for cheap
Old October 14th, 2010, 7:35 PM
CF Beginner

$1500 for a 2000 C1500 means there is a problem. If there were not other malfunctions outside to the transmission...go to craigslist and see can you buy a tranny from a vehicle that's being parted out
Old October 14th, 2010, 7:37 PM
CF Beginner

the transmission is not going to overheat because it's in the wrong gear.
Old October 14th, 2010, 9:01 PM
CF Beginner

thank you for your reply,
She drives to 50-60km/h at 2800 rpms,
then she shifts and climbs for 1st time to 80-90 km/h at about 3000+ rpms, then shifts again to 100-110km/h at 4500 rpms.
Update: She is starting to slip again, usually starts slipping when i drive at 110km/h and then i slow down to 80km/h, then she revs to 5000pm MAXED out and she only drives at only 60km/h. The engine gets really loud and exhausts go vroom vroom vroom vroom. Then i'd have to slow down at highway by the side and switch off the truck for like 5mins, and then i can start to climb to 110km/h but not for long!
i love the truck very much and would love to fix it up but i spent so much money lately and am afraid to spend more : (
I hate to sell it but am afraid that i may have no choice...

Originally Posted by silverado13
no that is still not normal, next time you get on the highway, go from a complete stop, count how many times it shifts, it should shift a total of 3 times, going from first to second, second to third and third to overdrive, it you are going 65-70 mph or around 110-120km/h, then you shouldnt be even above 3000rpm, if my theory is correct then your not getting into overdrive, so if im correct then youll only count 2 shifts, if im wrong then youll count 3

p.s. that truck is way to nice to have only paid $1500 for, i paid $2500 for mine and it was missing half the interior and had a tranny that was slipping, so regardless of if your tranny is still bad or not, you still got a nice truck for cheap
Old October 14th, 2010, 9:03 PM
CF Beginner

Hey thanks for replying : )
So do you think its a major transmission issue? Or simply needs to be rebuilt?
There wasn't any tranny codes showing when the mechanic at canadian tire used his computer. i am afraid to even buy a transmission of craigslist, i may accidentally buy another lemon again

Originally Posted by 1988scotdale
the transmission is not going to overheat because it's in the wrong gear.

Quick Reply: Chevy 1500 Problems