Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Chevy exhaust manifold bolt knock-offs...

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2020, 3:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy exhaust manifold bolt knock-offs...

I bought a 2003 Chevy 1500 HD with 6.0 in January and have realized I have 4 broken exhaust manifold bolts that are rusted tight and won't come out. I have had my run of drilling and cussing at it. I tried out the KAP bolt repair kits, for the drivers front bolts. I didn't look close enough and bought a knock-off aftermarket part that shipped from overseas somewhere. Needless to say, that was returned. After looking at some forums, I found the real KAP repair kits on kralautoparts.com, or they're on eBay but you have to look for the trademark symbol to get the genuine one. I guess you learn the hard way. Anyways, the KAP108 fit snug and solid and has stopped the leak, and as long as it holds up, I will use it on my other 2 bolts that are broken. I know there are other ways to fix this issue, but this was another option that I thought was just as efficient as the others.

Has any one else tried or experienced this? I will be looking at replacing bolts some on a Ford F250 that I use as a winter plow truck come fall as well.
Old June 24th, 2020, 4:10 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by jordy
I bought a 2003 Chevy 1500 HD with 6.0 in January and have realized I have 4 broken exhaust manifold bolts that are rusted tight and won't come out. I have had my run of drilling and cussing at it. I tried out the KAP bolt repair kits, for the drivers front bolts. I didn't look close enough and bought a knock-off aftermarket part that shipped from overseas somewhere. Needless to say, that was returned. After looking at some forums, I found the real KAP repair kits on kralautoparts.com, or they're on eBay but you have to look for the trademark symbol to get the genuine one. I guess you learn the hard way. Anyways, the KAP108 fit snug and solid and has stopped the leak, and as long as it holds up, I will use it on my other 2 bolts that are broken. I know there are other ways to fix this issue, but this was another option that I thought was just as efficient as the others.

Has any one else tried or experienced this? I will be looking at replacing bolts some on a Ford F250 that I use as a winter plow truck come fall as well.
Either replace the manifolds, or cut, drill ez out.