Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old October 22nd, 2007, 5:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Intake

Hi People I Have a 06 silverado Z71 with a 5.3 liter I was thinking of taking off the intake box and hose and just putting on a k&n filter right to the trottle body can I do that or will it screw up everything
Old October 24th, 2007, 1:03 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Cold Air Intake

wont screw nothing up, just give you better milage and more power. but dont do it 'right off' the TB, just remove the air box, you can buy a k&n that fits right where the air box is.
Old October 25th, 2007, 5:15 PM
CF Beginner

I was talking maybe something with a short tube with filter do u think i would get the same gains as with a k&n something like thishttp://https://chevroletforum.com/post.asp?do=reply&messageID=45303&toStyle= tm
Old October 26th, 2007, 9:07 AM
CF Beginner

There are cheaper ways of making an air intake system, but K&N (and other companies) have a really thought out system. They have the filter shielded from the enguine heat, water and derbis. It also has a solid mounting system. I wouldn't want my filter flopping around and or coming off while wheeling.

My .02 cents: Save a few more dollars and get a good complete system. Don't Mickey Mouse it together.

James
Old October 26th, 2007, 11:13 AM
CF Pro Member

by the looks of you truck you dont 'wheel' it, you can either make a CAI, and leave the conicle filter exposed, or just replace the filter in the box with a K&N either way you will benefit, the conicle one people say benefit better, but I have never used one, I just put a CAI on my car....and replaced the filter, also you could remove the inlet to the air box, I didthis as well. usually the opening is about 2 maybe 3" in diameter.....taking this off wil give you a bigger inlet and let more air flow, and in the end that is what you want
Old October 26th, 2007, 5:28 PM
CF Junior Member

I've had the stock replacement k&n in my 2001 5.3and didn't notice any difference in performance, just noticed that I had to go through all the trouble of washing the filter and re oiling it when it got dirty. So i just went back to stock paper, besides yes a k&ngets more air flow, but it also lets more dirt in, even if itswell oiled. If you do get an open element version, I would recomend get a custom sized outerwear for it, just to help keep the big particles off of it
Old October 30th, 2007, 12:16 AM
CF Beginner

Hey thanks For The Imput I'am Really Not Mechicanicly Inclined So I Have To Watch My P&Q What I Was Thinking If I Did Go With A Cold Air Intake Kit That I Would Modify The Box With Mesh To Prevent Big Particals From Getting On It Like Adam said Is There A Big Difference Between Stock Inlet Hose To TB From A K&N Or Other CAI Kits
Old October 31st, 2007, 2:06 PM
CF Pro Member

K&N filters claim to let less particles in the factory ones, I have never had a problem with mine and use them in all my vehicles, even my Jeep, that only sees hard core off road use, major dust, mud, crap, and it has never failed me...
Old October 31st, 2007, 9:28 PM
CF Junior Member

take your filter off and your tornadoand swipe your finger on the inside of the boot and tell me there is absolutely no dust inside at all