Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Is cold air intake possible?

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2010, 7:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is cold air intake possible?

I've been looking at putting a cold air intake on my '90 chevy C1500 350 V8 but every intake that i look at says that is won't work with Thermostatic Air Cleaners. I was wondering if anyone has put one on and it worked? If so, what brand did you go with? If you tried and it didn't work, what happened?
Old November 29th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Thermostatic Air Cleaners are usually found on carbureted engines, I doubt you will find a CAI for it as they are for injected engines.
The Thermostatic Air Cleaners help provide warm air to the engine at cold start by pulling warm air off of the manifold, the duct closes as the thermostat warms up allowing the engine to pull in cooler air.

If you live in a fairly warm climate you could just flip the lid on the air cleaner to maximize air intake and get a throatier sounding engine...
Old November 29th, 2010, 10:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TAC aren't just for carbureted cars/trucks I've seen a few on TBI engines they're emission related equipment for late carbureted/early TBI motors.
They're used to heat/warm the intake air to prevent the fuel from "falling out of suspension" Keeping the fuel atomized instead of pooling up at the intake valves.