Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Cold start problem (Silverado 2001 5.3L)

Search this Thread

Old August 18th, 2011, 9:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold start problem (Silverado 2001 5.3L)

Lately I have been haveing problems starting my truck if it has been sitting for any longer than half an hour. I turn the key and it turns over and over but wont start the first time, usually starts the second time 80% of the time and the third time the other 20%. Battery is relatively new but i dont have the funds to poke around and just try anything so I am hoping to get some advice on where to start. I have just over 150,000 on it and it has always run really well. since the problem started it also idles a little rough more so when the AC is on and when the AC is on it seems to feel like a slight hesitation when accellerating normally, (if i floor it, it seems fine). The check engine light is on and I will be going to get the codes pulled later today or tomorrow. From my searching I have gathered some info and feel like some things should be done anyhow with its mileage. Here is what im considering doing probably one by one but some advice on where to start would be much appreciated.
Change plugs
Change Fuel Filter
Spark Wires
Air filter
Clean TPS
Change Fuel Pump w/ new system connectors
Check for a bad injector

THis is what I am considering doing and in this order unless anyone has any advice otherwise. Any help is great and of coarse appreciated, thanks
Old August 18th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

post the dtc's

with no dtc as a starting point, the sympton described could be a leaking injector. check for fuel pressure leakdown. Does it put out black smoke from the exhaust when starting after this 30min soak?
Old August 18th, 2011, 12:56 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

As posted need the code(s), I'd not do anything till you find out what the code is.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 12:01 PM
CF Beginner

Default Pulled Codes

Finally got to the autozone and pulled codes, I am getting P0128 for the coolant thermostat (temp below thermostat regulationg temperature), p0404 EGR - control circut, P1404 EGR closed position performance. I also have three codes for the left front speed signal B0226- LF speed signal, B0227 LF speed signal erratic and B0225- LF speed signal circuit open or shorted, and B0281 for the stop lamp switch. (Are the speed signal codes causing the ABS light to turn on) These are the 7 codes it pulled up and any insight as to if these are causing my problems would be appreciated, thanks
Old August 23rd, 2011, 12:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same startup problem (don't think I noticed any acceleration problem) See my post from about a month ago.
I replaced the fuel pressure regulator and it didn't help.
I replaced the fuel pump and it fixed the startup problem.
My theory is that the backflow valve in the pump was going out, so as the truck sat for a while it would lose fuel pressure.
Try this:
With engine off, turn your key to the 'run' position for 5 seconds, then back to off. Do this twice. Then crank over the engine. If the engine fires right up then you are losing fuel pressure as it sits, which is what my system was doing. Turning the key to 'run' allows the fuel pump to re-pressurize the system without cranking over the motor.
Good luck!

Last edited by Geomyster; August 23rd, 2011 at 1:00 PM. Reason: grammar/spelling
Old August 24th, 2011, 12:59 PM
CF Beginner

So i did try turning to on a couple times and then starting didnt seem to help