Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Cold Weather Start Problems

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2008, 12:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Weather Start Problems

I have a 1990 Chevy 2 WD 1500 with a 5.7 (350) engine. It does not start immediatly even in the summer but in the winter it takes almost 15 seconds of cranking to start. Now I do not just crank it until it starts, I do 2 - 3 second invtervals as I do not want to burn out the starter like last winter. I have new plug wires rotor and distributor cap. Checked the timing as well. I am using 10 30 motor oil and live in Denver Colorado where the winters can be cold but not as bad as the mid-west. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.
Old January 18th, 2008, 1:04 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Cold Weather Start Problems

Clean the fuel injectors
Old January 19th, 2008, 10:43 AM
CF Beginner

ZX1100F1 thanks for your reply

I just ran a can of 44K through the system with just under half a tank. No change. It cranks slow and takes 3 - 4 tries at about 3 - 4 seconds each to get the thing started in single to teen digit overnight temps. I am frustrated by this.
Old January 19th, 2008, 9:57 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

you say it cranks slowly.....possible battery problem? not cranking the motor fast enough to fire right away and floods the engine?

I would also look at the readings of your temp sensor. Usually when they go bad, they read either REALLY cold or REALLY hot. Eithr way, you would be getting a very rich condition, or a very lean condition, making morning starts difficult.
After 3 or 4 seconds of cranking, trying putting the gas pedal alll the way to the floor. This will cut off fuel and make a lean condition(helpfull if it is getting flooded).
Old January 21st, 2008, 9:05 AM
CF Beginner

shawnvw thanks for the info. Turned out the temp sensor was not reading properly so I changed it but this did not fix the problem. The battery as well as the alternator are less than a year old. Any other thoughts from any one would be helpful.

Oh, one more question? Does anyone know the sequence of events for the fuel pump. In other words I know it comes on for a few seconds when you turn the key but if this operation does not happen does it complete its circuit and come on after the car is started? The reason I ask is not sure if it is coming on in the beginning but it is obviously working after the truck is started or I would not be going any where.
Old January 21st, 2008, 10:41 AM
CF Beginner

Does the fuel pump run when you turn the key on? If it doesn't you might have a bad fuel pump relay. If the relay is bad it takes oil pressure to energize the fuel pump.
Old January 21st, 2008, 5:00 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks slc10844, that is most likely the problem. I only hear the pump come on rarely and only after it is already warmed up. I thought this was due to the amount of gas in my 30 gallong tank muffling the sound. I will check it out tomorrow when the weather is slightly about 18 degrees.
Old January 31st, 2011, 11:26 PM
CF Beginner

Default Colorado '06

drive for short distance, go in store, then wonder if my 06 Clorado will crank when I return.... I have changed the Tempature sensor and O2 sensor both codes from local auto parts... now I have a #1 Low Voltage reading... is it the regulator or the fuel pump? ... or both?
Old January 31st, 2011, 11:31 PM
CF Beginner

Default 94 SilverDollar$$$

Orginal eng w/365,800 miles.... Like-A-Rock
Old January 31st, 2011, 11:35 PM
CF Beginner

How much trouble is it to change a fuel relay switch? (06 Colorado)

Quick Reply: Cold Weather Start Problems