Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Common problem, cheap fix.

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2015, 6:17 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Common problem, cheap fix.

You make a turn with your truck and it sounds and feels as if the suspension is going to fall apart. The steering shaft is often the blame and replaced, only with the problem to return. It can be fixed with a $3 can of silicon spray like I did 3 years ago and the noise and vibration has not returned.

Look under the dash by the steering wheel. Where the steering attaches to the shaft, there is a yoke style connection. Where it was spotless everywhere else under the dash, the yoke had so much dust on it that it looked like a Chia Pet. My guess was that it was lubed originally, but just gather the dust over time. Just wipe it clean and spray. Also where the solid steering shaft goes through the firewall, it enters an outer skin that is visible under the hood. I noticed rust at this location, probably the result of outside cold meeting inside heat, or vice versa. I sprayed that as well.

That was 3 years ago and so far, so good. I wish I had only sprayed the one location at a time tho, as I'm not sure which did the trick. But for $3 to fix a problem that almost made me get rid of my vehicle because I didn't think it was safe to drive, who cares.
Old April 14th, 2015, 1:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really helpful advise, i'd take note of this before I have the steering shaft replaced. So far i haven't encountered this issue, but when i do i'll be sure to keep this thread in mind.