Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

coolant leak that I can not locate

Search this Thread

Old November 19th, 2010, 12:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it dripping from inside the belhousing or from the outside?
If it is the intake manifold, you can see a wet trail from where it is dripping to the source up high to the back of the intake.
Any 350 running the pink Dexcool is a prime candidate for manifold gasket failure.

Also remove your oil filler pipe cap. Turn it over and look inside it for condensation. Touch your finger to the inside top then taste it.
If it has no taste your lucky. If it is sweet, you have antifreeze leaking into the oil system.
Old November 19th, 2010, 2:21 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by DoubleO7
Is it dripping from inside the belhousing or from the outside?
If it is the intake manifold, you can see a wet trail from where it is dripping to the source up high to the back of the intake.
Any 350 running the pink Dexcool is a prime candidate for manifold gasket failure.

Also remove your oil filler pipe cap. Turn it over and look inside it for condensation. Touch your finger to the inside top then taste it.
If it has no taste your lucky. If it is sweet, you have antifreeze leaking into the oil system.

I think from the outside hard to say.
Old November 20th, 2010, 3:14 AM
CF Beginner

[quote=haroldpo6;163628]I have the same problem with leaking on my 98 350. The coolent drips off of the bellhousing very slow. Could you explain more about the (soft plug)? What is a soft plug? Seems to loose water on cool down also.
Thanks[/quo

There are a series of freeze plugs around the engine to protect it in the event of the antifreeze/water freezing in the block. They will pop out so as not the crack the block.
After a while they will start to leak, and they will drip antifreeze around the edges. They are easy to replace depending on where they are at.
I have had several rigs over the years start to leak behind the bellhousing on the rear of the engine. If that is the case, the engine, or tranny will have to come out to replace them.
2 wheel drives won't be too bad cause you won't have to deal with the transfer case.
Old November 20th, 2010, 11:59 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by haroldpo6
I think from the outside hard to say.
With a really bright light, like a QBeam you sould see the leak drip trail up the outside of the bellhousing.
You will have to do it from below.
Another trick to see it easier is to toss a handful of flour at the suspected area. The flour will show the wet spot real obvious.
Oil leaks will still be brown and water or antifreeze will just look like wet flour.
Old November 20th, 2010, 3:07 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by DoubleO7
With a really bright light, like a QBeam you sould see the leak drip trail up the outside of the bellhousing.
You will have to do it from below.
Another trick to see it easier is to toss a handful of flour at the suspected area. The flour will show the wet spot real obvious.
Oil leaks will still be brown and water or antifreeze will just look like wet flour.

I agree, i will try to find someone with a shop with a lift monday.
Old November 28th, 2010, 2:18 AM
CF Active Member

sounds like maybe a cracked block
Old November 29th, 2010, 8:53 AM
CF Beginner

It was the intake manifold leaking at the rear drivers side. $500 to the shop and it's fixed. Should have been a recall on these models. Next truck will be jap.
Old December 1st, 2010, 9:27 AM
CF Active Member

thats great to know 12 years later huh?
Old December 2nd, 2010, 3:10 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by haroldpo6
It was the intake manifold leaking at the rear drivers side. $500 to the shop and it's fixed. Should have been a recall on these models. Next truck will be jap.
It lasted 12 years, why would it be a recall? I had the same issue on my Toyota, I'm a diy and it was a 24 $ fix. All vehicles will have there issues some more than others.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 6:28 AM
CF Beginner

It has 72,000 miles and the shop said they do 2 or 3 per week all on the same engine, most with under 100,000 miles, even did his dads. Other posts say up to 3 times in the first 100,000. So you right i am lucky.

Quick Reply: coolant leak that I can not locate