Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Dash is Outta Here!

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2009, 5:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash is Outta Here!

Ok, I searched but could not find any posts with my problem so here goes:
I installed the in-dash iPod adapter that allows direct connection of an iPod to the factory XM radio. Got it installed and it worked flawlessly. Connected and reconnected several times yesterday afternoon. Went to dinner and the wife plugged in the iPod and next thing I know, my radio is dead, all my guages, including speedo and tach are dead and my RKE does not work. The indicator for gear selection is missing and all the warning lights are on for TPMS and Stabilitrack. I turned off the truck and restarted but all was still out. After dinner, the truck will not turn over. All lights seem to be bright so I don't think it is battery. Odd thing is, when I turned off the truck and removed the key, the A/C fan is still blowing and the dash lights will not go out! I thought at first I blew a fuse, but why would the fan still be on? Called Roadside and they said the tow was covered under warranty..mileage is 36,318! So I am off to the dealership to see what the cause may be...any one got any ideas?
Old February 6th, 2009, 7:44 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Strange, is is possible that some wiring got pinched or crushed in the process?
Maybe something cross-wired?
I suspect you lost a fuse or maybe two, see which fuse(s) are out and inspect your installation make sure something didnt come loose and short out.

Did you do the install hot or disconnect the battery?
possible the system isn't responding well to the install, try disconnecting the battery , wait and then reconnect.

Maybe something got pulled loose but not completely loose when you did the install and now its wiggled loose and just needs to be plugged back in?

Just some idea's

Let us know what you find
Old February 10th, 2009, 7:34 PM
CF Active Member

what brand of adaptor was it
Old February 12th, 2009, 1:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

This geezer's guessin' you got a loose ground wire somewhere; wouldn't hurt to check.
Old February 13th, 2009, 4:11 PM
CF Beginner

Ok, by the time the dealership looked at the truck, the fan had run the battery dead, and the truck was perfectly fine! He ran some checks on it and there were a few codes, one of which showed a voltage spike...that is likely what caused the problem. It happened again but it just takes disconnecting the battery to clear the problem. I have contacted the company and they are sending a replacement gateway....the name of the company is Peripheral Electronics in Florida. The gateway works perfectly - I can pull up songs by artist, playlist, etc, the only problem that has surfaced is the dash going out on plugging the ipod in...I solve that by plugging in before cranking the truck...for now it works great but I am sending back tomorrow and they will mail a new one...hopefully that solves it. If you have a Circuit City in your area, I got it half price...$75. ISGM74 is the model number for the GM kit...they have Ford, Toyota, etc, but since they are closing, they may or may not have any left. It works for the NBS trucks and the last generation because it includes two wiring harnesses...simple plug and play install....it also allows play of any MP3 through the factory radio...only the ipod will be controlled by the stereo. Thanks for your suggestions...it was as simple as unplugging the battery....sheesh....I will let you know how the replacement part works out..

Thomas