Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 6th, 2015, 2:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Detailed Install of Viper 5901 Remote Start/Alarm on 09 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old January 28th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

tell them that they NEED to use a transponder chip in order to bypass the ignition. Installing it without creates a parasitic draw that kills the battery over the course of a couple days
http://store.idatalink.com/index.php...ct_detail&p=38
Old January 29th, 2010, 6:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks buddy, your a lifesaver. If i had just the alarm portion installed, would this still be the problem?

Last edited by AlwaysFollowed; January 29th, 2010 at 6:36 AM.
Old January 29th, 2010, 7:59 PM
Banned

if it was just the alarm, the by-pass module would not have been used and the transponder chip is not needed for the install. So to answer the question, this should not be the problem.
If your battery is still going dead, pull the fuse for the alarm, and see how it is, then take it back to the shop who did the initial install
Old January 30th, 2010, 1:43 PM
CF Beginner

The module was installed in order to retain the factory keyless entry so the alarm remote will unlock my doors.
Old January 30th, 2010, 9:16 PM
Banned

good point....they shouldn't have interfaced with the PassKeyIII though. Problems arise when you install the bypass into the ignition system.
If they did, not knowing that they didn't need to, is probably your culprit
Old January 31st, 2010, 9:05 AM
CF Beginner

I took it back yesterday and we ran some tests. When we first tested it, something was consistently drawing a little over 1 amp. We unplugged everything and reprogrammed the module. After doing this the amperage draw went below 30 Ma which is what it says it should draw. When we arm the system it spikes to 1 amp and then within about 10 second the draw drops off to what is should be. Another problem im having is that when i try to disarm and unlock the doors after the truck has been sitting for a while, it only disarms the alarm and does not unlock the door. Is this because the BCM is "Asleep" and the initial trigger disarms the alarm but it doesnt "wake up" fast enough to receive the unlock command. I changed the setting to double unlock and double lock commands and this fixed the problem. Im still curious about the reasoning behind this though.
Old January 31st, 2010, 8:03 PM
Banned

its the byoass module. for wehatever reason its not sending the unlock command, or maybe as you state, it sends it too fast. Or possibly it is supposed to act like that....first pulse disarms, second pulse unlocks.
It all depends on the module and how the sofware is configured in it
Old February 1st, 2010, 7:12 AM
CF Beginner

Which bypass module do they have interfacing to ur 5901? Honestly I would have them remove it and install a dlpk like mine. It works flawlessly. Never has it not unlocked my doors or not started my truck on first try. And never has ran down the battery. If anything this is a testimony of why to only use a dei product with this dei alarm. I have to assume they have put some cheaper module in. Let me know.
Old February 1st, 2010, 8:12 AM
CF Beginner

It is the idatalink bypass module.

http://store.idatalink.com/index.php...ct_detail&p=20
Old February 1st, 2010, 4:16 PM
Banned

sounds like either a poor connection, or most likely a bad module\corrupt software on it.
Idatalink makes the best bypass modules on the market, IMO
I have installed many hundreds of this brand and believe that no one even comes close
I have used dei & bypasskits quite a bit in the past, but once idatalink got there act together, its been them all the way

Quick Reply: Detailed Install of Viper 5901 Remote Start/Alarm on 09 Silverado