Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 6th, 2015, 2:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Detailed Install of Viper 5901 Remote Start/Alarm on 09 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2010, 5:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM has my truck right now doing some warranty work and they are going to do a draw test and make sure it is in spec. Ill let you guys know how it goes. The installer that did it seems to swear by idatalink products as well. Hopefully this sorts itself out soon.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 9:47 AM
CF Beginner

Well, apparently my Pioneer Avic-x910bt navigation unit is drawing power and so is the alarm. So i have no ideao where to go from here, this is getting a little frustrating!
Old February 9th, 2010, 1:23 PM
amw
CF Beginner

shawnvw, will jcjoines install instructions work the same on a 2005 chevy colorado?
everything seems to be working correctly (no drained battery, doors lock/unlock, alarm activates etc.) with the exception of the cluster panel not lighting after remote start. When i put the key in the ignition,turn to on position, hit break, It will not let me out of Park!! (No lights on instrument panel) If its not in the on position and I hit the break it will kill the engine as is should, but i then have to manually remove the key, reinsert the key, then manually turn the key over to get it to start normally with the instrument panel to be lite! My installer assumes not enough power is getting to the instrument cluster and might require a relay. What do u guys think??
Old February 9th, 2010, 1:31 PM
amw
CF Beginner

This is what I have: Is is possible the passlock bypass module isnt hooked up properly?? Wasnt 100% sure at the time of install!

The Viper model is a 5901 and the passlock module is a (XK06) PLXR Platform 06 with 3.0 firmware.
Old February 10th, 2010, 7:48 AM
CF Beginner

AMW,

I dont know if they will work for your truck but let me say this... It sounds like when your remote start is active it is actually keeping your cluster from lighting up (im assuming the radio also). Because no matter if the remote start is active or not, when you insert your key and turn it forward it shoud illuminate your cluster/radio. For this circuit all the VIPER does is use a relay to send power to the accessory (cluster/radio) since the key is not turned forward. Once the key is turned it just sends another path to this circuit in parallel and then when you hit the brake it deactivates the relay causing the keyed circuit to be the only path. This leads me to believe that your installer has hooked your accessory to the wrong spot on the VIPER and that when you turn the key forward your viper is "stealing" or "drawing down" the power needed to power your cluster/radio. Im actually a little surprised that your truck actually remote starts with this problem because on my first attempt at this install I left off the red/black and with no DIC (cluster/radio/etc) my truck would only start and then shutdown after a second or two. But the trucks must be a little different so it sounds like your ignition relay in your VIPER is working fine... This gets its power from the RED in the H3 harness and then connects to vehicle on the PINK in the H3. This is a TOTALLY seperate viper relay than your Accessory.

Check the following cause my guess is that one of these wires are not hooked to what they need to be. The accessory circuit is really simple on my silverado... one wire from key powers DIC/cluster/radio. Look up a wire install guide on your truck and see what yours is.

For this circuit your red/black in the H3 harness should be hooked to a power source (or jumped to your other hots like I did) and your orange in the H3 harness should be hooked to the wire(s) from your ignition switch that powers the accessory. Unhook the orange if you need to and check it with a meter. Test that the voltage passes to the orange wire when you activate your remote start. Ensure the orange is hooked to the right place. (use a meter and when your turn your key forward see which wire powers accessory)

Good Luck... hope this helps
Old February 10th, 2010, 10:40 AM
amw
CF Beginner

Hi JcJoines!

Thanks sooo much for replying!!! Your the first one to do so (I've posted in many forums!) .. I will relay this message to him. My stereo works fine. He actually put in a aftermarket system for me not long before this. It works great!!
Thanks Again!!
Old February 10th, 2010, 10:44 AM
amw
CF Beginner

jcjoines, Did you read my full post in Gen. tech section?

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/sho...t=remote+start
Old March 18th, 2010, 9:20 PM
CF Beginner

Default Which iData ByPass Module do I need?

please help me! When i go to: http://store.idatalink.com/index.php...h_by_vehicle&s[vid]=1790 it says there are 16 results found for "Chevrolet Silverado 2003" how do i know which one i need? I have a 2003 chevy silverado DL3 (power everything) and i'm not sure which one i should look at getting. any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated! thanks so much guys, your posts are great!

Bryan
Old November 8th, 2011, 9:42 PM
CF Beginner

Default module question

Guys,
I have a question, I am planning on installing the Viper 5901 in my 2005 Silverado my question is why would I not want to use the XpressKit Multi CAN Door lock interface (XK09) sold by DEI? I see others are offered as better options but why are they better?

thanks
Eldog
Old November 9th, 2011, 8:04 AM
CF Beginner

Now its been a while since I have messed with this but I seem to remember ur xk09 only does door locks via canbus. U still need a remote start module. The dlpk does both in one module. My first install was in an acura tl. I used a xk01 and a pkh34. Yes two modules work but its a pain compared to one.

Quick Reply: Detailed Install of Viper 5901 Remote Start/Alarm on 09 Silverado