Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Driver side loud clicking at all speeds/times 2002 1500HD

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2013, 12:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver side loud clicking at all speeds/times 2002 1500HD

I have a lifted 1500HD 364 and recently its had this really loud clicking (sometimes it will even have a "double click" when I go very slow) coming from the driver side it seems.. it happens at all speeds when going straight and turning and giving brake dose not seem to have any effect.. ive taken a look at the steering and suspension... I found a bad upper ball joint and a bad hub.. ive replaced the both thinking based on theyre being bad would have eliminated the clicking but that was not the source of the clicking problem... also when turning before I replaced the two pieces it would give off a very loud moaning but after I replaced the hub it went away a little but still gives off slight smaller moans..
any suggestions help!
Old July 16th, 2013, 5:44 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your power steering pump belt if you hear a whining sound. Tighten or replace it if that's the problem. If the noise is occurring only at the extreme ends of the wheel turns, and the belt seems fine, you may be okay. Screeching can simply indicate you're trying too forcefully to turn past the steering system's capability. Check your suspension system if you're experiencing a clunking sound while turning the wheel, especially when the car is moving. You also may hear the sound when braking or traveling over bumps, and the wheel may vibrate. The possible problems are numerous, but none will be as simple to fix as pouring in a little fluid. Inspect your shocks, struts and other suspension-related parts.
Old July 16th, 2013, 9:05 AM
CF Active Member

If your truck is a 4x4 and lifted then I'd check the front axles or CV joints for your ckicking sound. Check the boots for any cracks and grease leaks.
Old July 16th, 2013, 12:36 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ToooTall1
If your truck is a 4x4 and lifted then I'd check the front axles or CV joints for your ckicking sound. Check the boots for any cracks and grease leaks.
Theres no cracks or any leaks in the cv boot/ axle from what I can tell i think visually it looks nice.. but could that be it? Because what ive heard if cv axle was going bad it would cause clicking on turns vs my truck clicks all times.. im not sure