Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Dumb Question

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2011, 11:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb Question

Stupid question here but I have a 98 z71 with 183k miles. Original everything just about. This past year however i have been having to replace a lot of things on it which i understand is part of life. Today i spent 800 on a brand new complete a/c system and last week i replaced all 4 brakes and a fuel pump. Engine and transmission wise how many miles can I honestly expect to get on the transmission and motor before they start to go/ I love the truck and take care of it with oil changes accordingly but i am starting to sweat a lil bit about the possibility of a big repair bill coming up. i have heard 200k to 250k on the original parts but that has been really unconfirmed talk. Anybody had really good luck with theirs? Thanks.
Old July 18th, 2011, 9:12 PM
CF Beginner

A guy I work with has over 400,000 on his 94, and is still driving it. He just had his first major repair, and it was his transfer case chain. He says he bought it new and has only changed brakes,altinator, ac , little stuff. Still stock engine and tranny.
Another has 240k and still driving but has had to have some head work. The way he drives though, says it all. He is hard on it. Really, it's just luck of the draw. If taken care of 300k should be no problem.Mine only has 158k and still drives great.
Old July 19th, 2011, 9:11 AM
CF Beginner

That’s quite a few miles on it. It might be time to consider an engine/transmission rebuilt or replacement. I currently drive a 1997 Silverado k1500 Z71. It has 100,345 original miles on it but about 5,000 miles ago the transmission was rebuilt, the rear end was replaced with a 4.11 posi traction rear end and the stock 5.7L was rebuilt. All of it was done at a couple different garages and I did no work on it just to be safe and not screw anything up... It costs about $4,000 to $6,000 to do what I did and now it is as reliable as a new car and beside usual maintenance, I haven't had to spend any money on replacements. It may be worth it to go with an engine and transmission rebuild or just replace the current engine with a 350ci crate engine.
Old July 19th, 2011, 10:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinSilverado
That’s quite a few miles on it. It might be time to consider an engine/transmission rebuilt or replacement. I currently drive a 1997 Silverado k1500 Z71. It has 100,345 original miles on it but about 5,000 miles ago the transmission was rebuilt, the rear end was replaced with a 4.11 posi traction rear end and the stock 5.7L was rebuilt. All of it was done at a couple different garages and I did no work on it just to be safe and not screw anything up... It costs about $4,000 to $6,000 to do what I did and now it is as reliable as a new car and beside usual maintenance, I haven't had to spend any money on replacements. It may be worth it to go with an engine and transmission rebuild or just replace the current engine with a 350ci crate engine.
No thanks.

I got 173,000 on mine. They last until they dont. Parts arent that expensive.

Why did you spend $800 on AC? WHat did they do for $800?
Old July 20th, 2011, 1:46 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the input everyone. The $800 ac repair was a complete new system. Compressor dryer accumulator lines hoses and the freon plus labor with a 2 year warrenty. It drives great but i am getting to the point where it has high enough miles something may give out and i would rather do it before it breaks and i get stranded somewhere. Sometimes its cheaper in the long run to buy something new but i hate to see this truck go.
Old July 20th, 2011, 3:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

doubt it. I was going to go to the movies today but the master cylinder just gave out. So that is $30 and next time something else but still cheaper than a new car payment.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 8:32 AM
CF Active Member

Not a dumb question, but a dumb header. Your title should have an abridged summation of your question. You will get more answers because people don't waste time opening queries just to see what is being asked.