Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Duramax

Search this Thread

Old July 25th, 2011, 5:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duramax

Hi all,
Im thinking of buying a used Duramax but there are so many different engines out there im hard pressed to firgure out which one would be best I will be towing and using it as a daliy driver plan on putting a programer,exhaust,and cold air intake. I dont have to worry about emissons testing so thats not an issue. Im thinking of around an 06 or newer but not sure. Is there something i should stay away from? One more thing, love the forum has helped me out with my 96 Z71 thanks again.

Dan
Old July 25th, 2011, 6:37 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try to find one that is built before the latter part of 2007. That way, it will not have the DPF (diesel particulate filter) on it. The DPF helps the engine run cleaner, but at a cost of longevity and about 10 to 15 percent worse fuel economy.

The DPF is not unique to GM, though. Ford's Powerstroke (both the 6.4L Navistar and 6.7L Scorpion) and Dodge's Cummins diesel also have the device. Even big rigs and large straight trucks built for the 2008 model year have DPFs -- and they all have the same disadvantages.
Old July 25th, 2011, 8:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you remove the DPF?
Old July 26th, 2011, 6:20 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, it can be removed.......but that poses a few problems. First of all, the electronics will be messed up - leading to sensor trouble, rough running, "check engine" lights flashing, etc., etc. Second of all, you might void your warranty. Third, you would be violating the law (much the same as if you removed a catalytic coverter from a car that runs on unleaded gasoline). You could get a fine from the government or perhaps the vehicle might fail a state-mandated safety inspection or emissions test.

I know that there is a way that a Ford Powerstroke DPF can be deleted and the truck's electronics "fooled" into thinking that it is still there.....but I am not sure if a similar delete option is available for the Duramax.