Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Electrical mystery! May you know??

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2012, 10:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Electrical mystery! May you know??

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum so bear wih me. Basically what I come here for is help from the CF community to help diagnose my electrical problem on my 99' 1500 z71. What's happening is when I'm driving at night and with headlights on the lights dim when I hit anything power such as windows, turn signals, and sometimes even when I hit the brakes then they go back to normal brightness when not using them. This is a used truck and i believe it had an alarm system and I know it has a remote start on it but have neither control devices . The alternator is fine charging at roughly 14.50V+ when I have my turn signal on I see the voltage gauge fluctuates in sync with my turn signal. Would anyone know where to start diagnosing this problem or will it remain an I solved mystery for me?
Thanks a lot in advance!!!
-Danny
Old August 1st, 2012, 5:15 AM
CF Senior Member

i would check the battery connections,any grounds make sure there clean and OHM out the battery cables should be about 1 OHM
Old August 1st, 2012, 6:03 AM
CF Beginner

Could it possibly be a chassis ground that would need to be checked? I don't know the exact location of it though.
Old August 1st, 2012, 6:46 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by shamrock246
i would check the battery connections,any grounds make sure there clean and OHM out the battery cables should be about 1 OHM
Thats what I'd suggest. Follow the battery cable from the battery to where it screws down on the frame. The cable needs to be tight on both ends.
Old August 1st, 2012, 8:29 AM
CF Active Member

Ok, please define "dim". How much are your lights dimming? Is it a slight dimming or is it to the point you have very little light left on the roadway?

The reason I ask this is that most vehicles i have had did this to some extent (08 silverados x2, 12 toyota camry, 06 hyundai sonata).