Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Electrical problem-please help

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2010, 4:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Electrical problem-please help

Hello,

I am new to this site and have an electrical problem that has me stumped. The vehicle is a 1995 Silverado 2wd auto regular cab 350 V8 with 146K miles and last week the air conditioner was working fine when I stopped at a store. When I left, the blower wouldn't work on any setting whatsoever. Of course I checked all the fuses, relays, control panel and such. Some other issues came up as well: the windshield wipers wouldn't work on any setting, as well as the windshield washer. I also noticed that the taillamps would come on when I turned the key to the "on" position while having the headlamp switch in the ''off'' position. The shift indicator on the cluster disappeared also. This morning when I left home for work, the air conditioner was working perfectly, the taillamps didn't come on, and the wipers/washer worked as it should. The shift indicator flickers constantly now, which is weird and aggravating. The only thing I can imagine that could be the culprit is the electrical part of the ignition switch. I'm not sharp at all with electrical problems and I actually had planned to take it in to the shop this morning, but of course the problem went away. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I hate to start throwing a bunch of parts at it. Thanks in advance!
Old July 29th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi HONKYTONK,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

See if you can toggle the ignition key forward or back in it's on position. Also check to be sure the linkage between the ignition lock cylinder and the ignition switch, located lower on the steering column, isn't loose.

The grounds, particularly your negative cable and engine-to-firewall ground strap tend to corrode after a few years, you may want to have a look at them.
Old July 29th, 2010, 12:21 PM
CF Beginner

therewolf,

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my post. I'm definitely going to check the areas that you mentioned, and hopefully get it taken care of ASAP. Thanks again!
Old July 30th, 2010, 9:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hopefully this will help. It's all a shot in the dark when you can't actually look at the vehicle, so post back when you find out what it really was.
Old July 24th, 2011, 7:18 PM
CF Beginner

I had same problem with my 95 Sierra, ie; windows, ac, wipers, almost everything electrical would work when it chose too. I replaced the ignition switch harness and now all works well. The harness is located under the steering wheel. Research pulling this, due to air bag safety. Mine didn't have it. The harness wasn't too expensive, like 70 bucks, but well worth it. Hope my thread helps someone. Good Luck