Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

engine heater

Search this Thread

Old October 16th, 2011, 6:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool engine heater

I have a 1998 chevy 1500z71, and was wondering what type of block heater works better.
I am looking at a stick on type for the bottom of the oil pan, or sticking with the one that is put in the main coolant lines from the rad to the engine. If the one that goes in the coolant line is better, should it go in the top, or bottom line?
Old October 16th, 2011, 6:09 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Unless it's real cold, I'd suggest a dipstick heater.
Old October 17th, 2011, 8:45 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cant say from expierence but have read where dipstick heaters put so much heat in a small area that they "burn" the oil. I had a 86 that was hard to start and I put a heater in the LOWER hose it worked quite well. Probably the most effecient would be the ones that go in the freeze plug holes but they would be the most difficult to install.
Old October 19th, 2011, 3:11 PM
CF Beginner

would one of the ones that you put in the coolant line still work if you put it on the top line.
Old October 19th, 2011, 4:53 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by countrydriver
would one of the ones that you put in the coolant line still work if you put it on the top line.
The thermostat will block the heated coolant from entering the engine where you need it... using the lower hose allows the heated coolant to go into the engine unimpeded....
Old October 19th, 2011, 7:00 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by in2pro
The thermostat will block the heated coolant from entering the engine where you need it... using the lower hose allows the heated coolant to go into the engine unimpeded....
I think with a tsat it (I agree) won't flow, but wouldn't it just deadhead coolent to the block? 100 watt light bulb on a drop light, might be redneck, but hey if your that concerned about cold, you might better worry about the battery also.
Old October 19th, 2011, 7:02 PM
CF Monarch

rethink, that might have a small bypass around the tstat.
Old October 19th, 2011, 9:46 PM
CF Beginner

I thought the same thing about the top line but I was trying to find a way to install a heater without completly draining the coolant system
Old October 20th, 2011, 10:27 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember heated air or water goes UP.
Old October 20th, 2011, 10:46 AM
CF Active Member

When I lived in Wyoming I found that just a light bulb under the hood helped. The main thing you need to accomplish is to keep the oil in the pan from getting cold and sludgy because it doesn't move well enough to let the engine turn over. Secondarily a warm battery holds more charge and delivers more charge, so battery blankets make sense too.

Quick Reply: engine heater