Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Engine overhaul

Search this Thread

Old February 7th, 2009, 2:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine overhaul

Sometime in the not too distant future I will be tearing down the 350 in my 91 Silverado. The parts selection will be with the main thought of fuel economy. Has anyone out there done this successfully, I would like to get the right combination the first time. Generally this formula requires a bump in compression, how much? Who grinds the best cam for economy? Intake and exhaust? (TBI). This is a California truck and must remain smog legal. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old February 7th, 2009, 4:26 PM
CF Junior Member

You stole my idea for a username... I know I'm only 23, but I feel old and have been grumpy since before I can remember.
Old February 8th, 2009, 7:29 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not my kind of discussion, but something tells me from my g'ol country mods that if you shave down head to reduce CC's height and increase compression (which I believe, is power mod, not mpg mod) - aren't you supposed to go for higher octane gas or you'll have ping like hell? And this saves you what?
Old February 9th, 2009, 1:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

try "ecomodder.com" somebody there might be able to put you on the right track.
Old February 9th, 2009, 8:00 PM
CF Beginner

Re: username, I can't even remember 23. As for compression I quit twisting wrenches for a living in '77 but back in those days Chevy was known for putting low compression in their truck engines to reduce cylinder pressures and supposedly increase engine life. Back then we could run 9-9.5 with the right camming and still get by with regular gas. The computer controls change things dramatically, in that it is not as easy to tweak timing and fuel ratio to overcome ping problems, which is why I asked the question in the first place. I have never done any internal modifications on an EFI engine and do not know what works and what doesn't. I cruised around in ecomodder and they seem to be mostly into tweaking computer controls and aerodynamics and not internal engine modifications.