Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Engine Seized - Crank Pully Bolt?

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2011, 5:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine Seized - Crank Pully Bolt?

Because of the heavy weather here in CT, I haven't been able to work on my 88 Cheyanne. The last problem was the engine would turn over, but no start. To make it short, I checked fuel and spark - it was spark. My last test indicated the ignition coil was defective.

This week it warmed up and I installed a new coil, took the new battery off the maintainer - crossed my fingers and turned the key.

I could hear a rapid clicking, but the engine wasn't moving. It's been parked outside and I think it suffers from some inertia, rust or whatever.

My Haynes says "Try to turn the crankshaft with a large socket and breaker bar on the pulley bolt." No picture was available and I can't tell by looking at the engine.

1. Does this sound reasonable?
2. Does anybody have an image showing the correct pulley and bolt? A crayon drawing would do if that's all you got.

Thanks,
Reg
Old March 26th, 2012, 5:34 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Hey Reg,

did you ever solve this problem? My 98 Cheyenne is doing the same thing. New starter, new battery, but the truck sat all Canadian winter. When I try to start it, it just ticks and once in a while it'll just about sounds like its gonna turn over but never does. Im no mechanic by any means, but it sounds like its seized up. My haynes manual say the same thing but I wouldnt have a clue as to where the crankshaft pulley bolt is.

Thanks, Mike
Old March 26th, 2012, 6:37 PM
CF Active Member

Front center of engine, bottom pulley closest to mother earth. Directly beneath the water pump. Approximately 6" in diameter. Large bolt in the CENTER of the pulley- put socket on the hex head bolt and turn clockwise with a breaker bar. Sorry, I don't know how to post pictures.
Old March 26th, 2012, 7:06 PM
New User

So Im assuming Im going to have to remove the fan/fan clutch as well in order to access this pulley?

Last edited by Fritze; March 26th, 2012 at 8:39 PM.
Old March 27th, 2012, 5:36 AM
CF Active Member

No, if you can't reach it from the top go at it from underneath. From underneath it will be front of engine- middle of your oil pan- bottom pulley. To get a better idea look at your belt routing sticker on the radiator support or plastic price above the radiator. Bottom most-center most-largest pulley in diagram.
Old March 27th, 2012, 5:32 PM
CF Junior Member

You can also just take a large screwdriver or small pry bar and slide it between two of the bolts that hold the fan on (behind the fan). pull up or push down. It works for me. Just my .02
Old March 28th, 2012, 7:21 PM
New User

It wasn't seized after all, thanks!