Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Engine Swap -- worth it?

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2007, 10:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Swap -- worth it?

Alright this is going to be about the dumbest thing you've ever heard...i love my truck, it doesn't seem likely that i would sell it for anything. Everythign works just fine, but the engine just isn't cutting it anymore. It's the 4.3L and it has 160,000 miles (on theoriginal clutch!). It just has no juice. It didnt' make a difference in the past, but now that i'm older i need to tow some things, and i end up going off road hunting a lot now. I need to put in a V8, or at least get about another 100hp in any way possible. I know i need a new clutch soon, so i would anticipate getting one for a more powerful engine if i am going that route. Is it possible to do engine/clutch swap for under 3k?
Old November 9th, 2007, 11:30 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Engine Swap -- worth it?

Are u going to do the engine swap ur self?
Old November 9th, 2007, 11:58 AM
CF Beginner

Well, i don't really have the garage for anythign that large scale, i dont' have a crane or anything, i'd probably be budgeting around 1k for labor, 3k parts or less, i'd assume a used 350 shouldn't cost much over 1k, but who knows.
Old November 9th, 2007, 11:20 PM
CF Junior Member

If you want to do an engine swap from a 6 cylinder to an 8 cylinder, your gonna need more than just the engine. First off, and most important, you'll need to find a transmission that can handle the additional power the V8 provides. The engine wiring harness is probably different, you need to think about that. The plumbing for the fuel, coolant, and air is going to be different. The exhaust would most likely be plumbed different too. If I was you, I'd save my money and get another truck that better suits my needs. But if you really love the truck, and are willing to spend the money, I'd say go for it. But it's a lot of work.
Old November 10th, 2007, 12:04 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Trade it put the money donw on a newer one for yourself, you will never get the $$$ back in any way and you will end up with a truck that will prolly cause you lots of grief down the road...any engine swap I did started out a bolt in project, time your donw motor mounts need welded, wiring harnesses, Tranny adaptors, fan shrouds, spacing for fans, all this crap....It will add up to more then you ever budget for.....
Old November 11th, 2007, 11:07 AM
CF Junior Member

I have the same dilema, a 4.3 and just not the power I now need for towing.
I'ts an '06 with around 17g miles. I'm goin' to go ahead and trade it in for some more horses. Absolutely nothing wrong with the truck, I just need more power now.
An engine transplant would be a real big PIA. There is so much that would have to be changed to go to a V-8.
I'd rather spend my time workin' on my Vette.
Old November 12th, 2007, 8:12 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info guys, it just bugs me to get rid of it, but I spose it probably isn't worth trying to beef it up, it is pretty old.
Old November 15th, 2007, 8:14 PM
CF Junior Member

Gents,I had a 1994 S-10 with a 4.3 vortec it had a set of -alls under it. I think it is all in the gearing!
Old November 15th, 2007, 8:18 PM
CF Junior Member

I believe the tranny's are the same. check you sources