Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Excessive oil leakage from new shocks???

Search this Thread

Old November 1st, 2010, 7:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excessive oil leakage from new shocks???

First post here, I have been lurking on this forum for a while and have found great info here so far, hopefully some of you can help me solve this problem.

06 Silvarado 1500 4x4 front passenger shock was leaking oil and the tire on that corner was wearing funny. I rotated and balanced the tires and replaced the front shocks with monroe gas magnums on Friday. Took the truck out around town this weekend and everything felt great, ride was smoother etc. Back to work today and the front passenger shock is leaking again, even when the truck is stationary. The seal must be blown already? I found this on the Monroe site regarding blown seals on new shocks: The cause of the damage should be identified and corrected prior to replacing shocks or struts. Most suspensions incorporate some type of rubber suspension stops called "jounce" and "rebound" bumpers. These bumpers protect the shock or strut from damage due to topping or bottoming.

How do you determine if the bump stops are bad?? They look fine to me. Any other things that can be causing the seal to blow after 3 days? Any other source for the oily fluid in this area? Any info or thoughts on the problem would be appreciated.
Old November 1st, 2010, 10:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shocks leaking

06 i wouldn't think the rubber bump is bed (Coil over struts? )or torsion bars ? .they would have to be crushed out or missing and you would have to do some major 4 wheeling .
i don't know what it is but the last 3 truck's mine included the passenger front shock leaked .Monroe's are good shocks i sold them for about 10 years and they are life time guaranteed .i never had no problems no questions asked ,i replaced them for the ride going away .but i have had some bad brand new right out of the box ,some times you get a bad one .i have a set of sensa tracs ready to go on my 01 2500hd 4x4 now and the right front is leaking with 45,000 miles