Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old June 23rd, 2006, 12:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust

Im new to the forum I have a 01 silverado w/ a 5.3 L i would a more aggressive exhaust what is the best choice for this paticular engine i've heard to use from flowmaster to spintech please make the decision easier
Old June 24th, 2006, 3:54 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Exhaust

how agressive do you consider/desire as agressive cause personally im almost a ditch the muffler and cat kinda person, but flowmaster gives good tone and has multiple levels of agressive tone, 40's are the loudest and then they ahve lesser ones, i unoo what the designation for thoes is cause im not interested in a mellow sound
Old June 24th, 2006, 11:35 PM
CF Beginner

Thx for the feedback chevroletman8 I hear more and more about the flowmaster 40 series. Do you suggest 1 or 2 mufflers?
Old July 3rd, 2006, 7:23 PM
CF Senior Member

If you want it relatively quite you will want two mufflers. I have a 96 with a 350. It is stock dual to the muffler. I cut that off and had to cherry bombs put on. The tail pipe run right out the back. 3 or 3 1/2 in tips by 24. ( I can't remeber now.) Tips don't make it louder they echo it so you won't hear each cylinder fire. My mufflers are just that, they look like mufflers, one imput on each and one outlet. Each goes almost the lenght of the interior of the muffler and looks like a cheese grater to make a high flow muffler. I think it sounds good. In the cab if you have the radio on you don't really hear it. But if you do something like that be careful. A lot of homemade exhaust can sound bad. I got lucky. If you are going to run true dual, it can be hard to get the pulse of the cylinders to hit at the right time, tips help, it can sound bad. If you don't want to have to worry about it I would suggest a cat back. Flowmaster or Borla. I know they are both good.
Old July 20th, 2006, 12:59 AM
CF Beginner

This is what I have in my 2003 silverado LS ext. cab 4.8L. I love the sound of it, not very loud at all, it has that low throaty sound to it. Several people has told me it sounds like a vette. I have the cat-back exhaust system
Old July 21st, 2006, 4:38 AM
CF Junior Member

I own a 1999 silvarado 1500 5.3L V8 with 2.75" exhaust piping with out a cat, but it does have true daul exhaust and glass packs to give it a deeper tone. Altough it might be to loud for some I have found it gives a great increase in power and fuel economy. My silvarado can out accelerate all of the the souped up titans fortcollinsso far. NOTE Ihave have done more to the engine than just exhaust (it's not super/turbocharged).