Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2007, 4:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust?

I want to put an exhaust on my new truck without having to put more then 400 dollars into it. But i want it to have a nice bass to it, not a load banging noise. Any suggestions on what to do??
Old May 22nd, 2007, 6:15 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Exhaust?

Aluminized Gibson system.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 6:23 PM
CF Beginner

How much was the cost of that? Where did you order it from? Thanks
Old May 23rd, 2007, 5:07 AM
CF Junior Member

Depends on where you buy it and what system you choose( single or dual ). Should run you approx $375 +/- for duals and a little less for a single. Gibson is available from most performance shops and online places like Summit. Just be sure that you get a price on the "Aluminized" system and not a "Stainless Steel" one. Gibson offers almost all of their systems for most vehicles out therein both materials.The SS systems will last longer but they run $500+.

Some folks slam the aluminized systems but really they are fine. Stainless systems are better because they will last longer but unless you keep your truck 5+ years or more it really makes no difference because the aluminized system will last that long easy with proper care. "Aluminized" meansregular steel exhaust pipewith an aluminum based coating( aluminum/silicon alloy). Along the same principal asgalvanized boat trailers or screws. Aluminized systems get a bad rap sometimes but actually theywill last a long time for most people.Sound and fit are the same so the only reason to buy the SS system is for a longer life. I have run both and have been happy with each.

The only real concern with aluminized systemsisif you live in an area where they use a lot of road salt in the winter or you off road in mud a lot. Ifyou do then you need to run your truck through a car wash with an undercarriage wash to keep it clean or it will rust premature. I don't off road but live in the Northeast and I have had Gibson Aluminized systems last as long as I keep a vehicle( 4 years )and barely show rust.

As said above, Gibson offers almost all of their systems formost vehicles out there in both Aluminized and Stainless Steel. You should have no problem finding the system you want in either materail. Just remember, as I said, the SS systems will last longer but they run $500+. You can visit Gibson's site to find a local dealer and see what is avaiilable for your truck( you don't say what you have so? ). Gibson system are pretty easy to install yourself and fit really good.

www.gibsonperformance.com
Old May 23rd, 2007, 6:01 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: NHSilverado

Some folks slam the aluminized systems but really they are fine. Stainless systems are better because they will last longer but unless you keep your truck 5+ years or more it really makes no difference because the aluminized system will last that long easy with proper care.

What exactly does "proper care" entail on an exhaust system?
I find it very funny that anyone would remove a perfectly working OEM stainless steel exhaust system and replace it with an inferior "aluminized" system all for the sake of noise pollution.
If you must make noise then make sure you at least replace your factory system with one of similar quality (stainless) otherwise you are doing yourself a disservice.