Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Exhaust and cat related question

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2015, 7:28 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust and cat related question

Ok, my poor truck has reached that time in it's life (105k miles). 08 1500 vmax 6.0l. I Have the distinct rattle in the exhaust consistent with the cat starting to come apart. Additionally, the flex pipe and muffler are showing their age, so the hole thing is subject to replacement.

Additionally, I tow a 10k pull behind toy hauler and can't do straight back exhaust as the reverb is horrendous in the cab. I know this because i bought the truck with straight back exhaust and found this out the hard way.

So my dilemma. Do I replace the cats with a aftermarket deal (can't see the benefites of buying stock - but I'm open to input here too) or do I just take a long metal rod and gut them (if that's possible). I could probably drop them, cut and gut them, and then weld them back together.

Next is the rest of the exhaust. I have a stock style side exit single exhaust. The tone is nice and not annoying while towing. RPMS are around 2600 when towing at 65 mph. Thinking of a dual exhaust (out both sides) or just a larger single exit.

The goal here, is to provide a little better pulling power while keeping the engine noise at a moderate level. I'm fine with a little louder exhaust, but the wife is in the truck with me. Gotta keep momma happy. And NO I can't get her ear plugs!!!
Old June 13th, 2015, 11:21 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well not the exhaust. I have a cracked fly wheel. Tranny shop is gonna also look to see how the tranny is performing. Thanks anyway. Of course, if there are good answers to this post, I'm sure the info will be useful at a later time.

Eric