Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

fluid cooling and drive train question

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2006, 10:58 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fluid cooling and drive train question

I plan on purchasing an 07 Silverado in the next couple of months and in an effort to make the drive train last as long as humanly possible I am planning on putting in a transmission cooler (yes I know Chevy can put one in, but I can do it for about 1/2 the price), engine oil cooler, remote oil and trans filters, engine oil accumulator, and swith to Mobil 1 full synthetic oil and filter after break-in. I'm thinking of using Accusump's accumulator, Perma-Cool coolers and thermostats and probably remote kits, and Mobil 1 oil and filter.

The truck will be the 5.3L iron block design, I don't plan on towing (that may change at some point, who really knows), but want to make my equipment run for as long as I can get it to.

Is there anything I should look out for in the mentioned equipment, other equipment I should consider? This is all probably overkill for southern California driving conditions without towing, but this will be a large investment which I want to protect. If anyone else has done the same thing I plan on doing, please give me some pointers. The DIC has an integrated transmission temperature readout from what I've read, so I'll probably put in a gauge for the engine oil as well. Thanks in advance.
Old December 8th, 2006, 12:15 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: fluid cooling and drive train question

I think I would have GM install as many of the additional coolers because the warranty on the powertrain is 5 years or 100,000 miles. I install Mobil 1 the moment I get the vehicle home. You don't need to be concerned about the engine breaking in properly because GM uses Mobil 1 as a factory fill on many of the high performance vehicles. It is also a popular factory fill for many other manufacturers. Your drive train may have synthetic lubes as a factory fill, however my 2005 Silverado 4X4 did not have synthetic in the front differential so I changed it to Mobil synthetic gear lube. I also use Mobil synthetic chassis grease. I'm not sure how many grease zerks the 2007 Silverado has on the suspension but I recommend an immediate grease job. This is probably just a "Feel Good" recommendation but on my truck, some of the joints did not seem to have an abundance of grease in them from the factory. I looked at a 2007 the other day and was very impressed so I think you will love your truck. I plan on keeping mine until it is a pile of iron oxide!!!
Old December 8th, 2006, 12:30 PM
CF Junior Member

I guess $75 isn't that much of a cost for the factory transmission cooler, unfortunately an engine oil cooler isn't an option. Regreasing all grease zerks sounds like extremely cheap insurance for the suspension. I'll find out what fluids are put in from the factory and change it if it's needed.
Old December 8th, 2006, 2:08 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The owners manual will give you an idea of what type of fluids are used in the drivetrain. If the recommended fluid is a synthetic you can be sure it came with synthetic from the factory. I'm not trying to talk you out of an engine oil cooler, however if your vehicle comes with a trailer towing package without an engine oil cooler you can be assured that there is enough engine oil cooling available for your modest style of driving, especially when using Mobil 1 engine oil. The factory testing for trailer towing capability is BRUTAL.
Old December 8th, 2006, 2:28 PM
CF Junior Member

You make a good point about the trailering package not having an engine oil cooler, and with the 5/100k warranty, I guess they've done the research and know what works and doesn't. If the factory thinks I don't need it then I'll save my money for other things. Thanks.