Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 1:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Fog Light Issues

Search this Thread

Old June 6th, 2012, 8:00 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fog Light Issues

The other day my for lights just stopped working. So i checked the 15amp fuse under the hood and it was blown, I replaced it and in between that and the time i turned the key on to make sure they worked it blew again. Is there more than one fuse for the fog lights? Any ideas on what could be going on? Its an 2001 silverado
Old June 6th, 2012, 9:01 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See if Water in light my uncles fills up like a fish tank mine don't. See if plug is wet
Old June 7th, 2012, 4:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeh, sounds like the bad relay. I would recommend you to replace the fog light relay before going any further if that doesnt work you have a short in the circuit.
BTW, the new fuse you are using is right size as old one? Coz most of the time this is very stupid thing we have missed.

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Fog Light Relay - Standard Motor Products - TheAutoPartsShop - TheAutoPartsShop
Old June 7th, 2012, 1:11 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> chevy619,

The other posters offer great advice. You may consider checking page 6-75 through 6-79 of the owner's manual for additional assistance. I also recommend checking the relay.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old June 7th, 2012, 11:03 PM
CF Active Member

Where is the relay located?
Old June 8th, 2012, 9:09 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> chevy619,

It is located in the Underhood Electrical Center. Please refer to pages 6-76 through 6-78 of the owner's manual for a diagram.

A digital copy of the manual is available at: https://assets.gm.com/manuals/chevro...ado_owners.pdf

I encourage you to create a free account at the new Owner's Center at: http://My.Chevrolet.com. The Owner's Center has owner's manuals, service history, maintenance schedules, preferred dealers, warranty, recalls & more.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old June 27th, 2012, 1:25 AM
CF Active Member

I tried a new relay and it did the same thing. The fuse blows. The fog lights are H.I.D fog lights if that makes a difference? Like i said they were working fine and all of a sudden the one day they just stopped.
Old June 27th, 2012, 9:52 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check the wires and unplug the the lights if it does not blow with the light unhook probable a bad blub
Old June 27th, 2012, 9:56 PM
CF Active Member

Okay ill give that a try because thats what i was thinking today at work also.