Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

fuel guage problem

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2010, 12:25 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey RedBull I too have a 97 Silverado that had the same problem when i bought. i looked at it and it was the fuel float. Check to see if your problem was the same as mine
Old September 9th, 2010, 8:46 AM
CF Beginner

FYI when replacing the fuel float, you are also replacing the level sensor, they come together.
Old September 9th, 2010, 1:07 PM
CF Active Member

i myself also have a 97 z71 silverado, the problem i am having with my truck is that when sitting still my gas guage reads normal but when i am accelarating or slowing down the guage reads higher and lower, once i maintain a steady speed it levels out to where its supposed to be, so when i speed up the guage reads more gas then i have, and when i slow down it reads less gas, id imagine that my problem is in the fuel float as well and its just being to sensative to the level of fuel, the problem doesnt really bother me all that much and has never been worth fixing to me, anyone have similar probem?
Old September 9th, 2010, 1:11 PM
CF Active Member

and d_slat, i was not aware that there was a sensor involved in changing the float, that first post was about a friends truck and he isnt a mechanical kind of person so he brought it to a shop to be fixed. i myself would prefer to do my own work so i can assure that its done correctly......or atleast if it is done incorrectly it would be my fault and im the only person i have to deal with
Old September 9th, 2010, 5:37 PM
CF Junior Member

TO SILVERADO 13...The change in fuel readings you just described is normal. GM even says so in the C/K owners manual. I dont know what years of chevy the fuel gauge did this in other than 97 which is what both you and I have.
Old September 10th, 2010, 7:56 AM
CF Active Member

are you thinking its a 97 problem? because i had a 96 z71 a few years ago also and i didnt have that problem
Old September 10th, 2010, 9:41 AM
CF Beginner

My '95 does the same thing. Fuel level goes up or down when i'm accelerating or braking.
Old September 10th, 2010, 3:40 PM
CF Junior Member

No, i just didnt know which chevys that happened with. but i guess it was probably the 88-98 chevy/gmc truck series
Old September 10th, 2010, 4:35 PM
CF Junior Member

take it to the dealer to have it fix it should be warrenty
Old September 10th, 2010, 5:16 PM
CF Active Member

i brought mine to a shop and they said it isnt normal, they claim that replacing the whole fuel pump/fuel float assembly should fix it, but again, it isnt that big of a deal for me so i just assume leave it alone

Quick Reply: fuel guage problem