Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Fuel problem... can't get truck started

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2009, 9:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel problem... can't get truck started

The other day I ran out of gas in my truck... went down to the station and picked up 5 gallons of gas... by the time i got home it was pretty low again. The next morning I started my truck up and drove it around a little bit. Later in the day I went leave and started my truck... got three feet and it died. First thing I did was add more fuel and then I changed the fuel filter. Later that night I got it started again for about 30 secs and then it died again. When this happened my fuel gauge was hopping all over the place. Then settled on E. After all the messing around I've done now the fuel gauge reads completly full. The truck is getting spark and I sprayed gas into the throttle body and it still wouldn't start. I changed the fuel relay fuse and both of the ECM fuses are good. I unplugged the WHITE set of wires leading into the PCM and still nothing. At this point in time I am completely lost. Can anyone help me out with this? Is it a fuel meter body assembly or a fuel level sending unit maybe? Thanks.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

I would say that it maybe a bad ground connection. Can you hear the pump working when you turn the key on?
Old March 3rd, 2009, 11:02 PM
CF Beginner

When i turn the key over I can hear a whining/clicking on top of the manifold... I can't hear anything near my gas tank. I've got a haynes manual that says the fuel pump is in the gas tank and the chilton manual says its in the engine. Tomorrow morning I will get up under and look at the gas tank and check out the wiring and see if its in the tank and make sure everything is grounded correctly. If its in the gas tank then I know its bad b/c i can't hear anything back there. If it is the fuel pump what is your take on the fuel gauge hopping around? Thanks for the help Northey
Old March 3rd, 2009, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

If you have a pump like mine the pump and the sending unit are grounded at the same place on the frame and that would explain why you have no fuel and your fuel gauge is acting wierd.