Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

fuel pumps??

Search this Thread

Old October 22nd, 2006, 11:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pumps??

i have a 98 and a half 5.7 L 1500 extend cab with 8 foot bed 114 thousand miles. at roughly 85 thousand miles i replaced the factory fuel pump. now i just had to replace it again at 114000. the fact that its about 500 dollars overall to replace is b/s. what i want to know is if this a rare situation or have many of you had the same problem and what could be causing this to happen
Old October 24th, 2006, 8:37 AM
CF Active Member

Default RE: fuel pumps??

Where did You buy Your pump? I had put in a bosch pump and it was faulty. I put an OEM GM pump in ang have had no problem since.
Old October 24th, 2006, 8:19 PM
CF Beginner

the first one was a napa pump and i just replaced it with an ac delco and its been acting up haha this is bull
Old November 1st, 2006, 9:51 PM
CF Beginner

what happened with mine was i had stuff in the bottom of my tank, and if i let it go below a 1/4 tank it would suck it up, making it work harder, burning it out
Old November 1st, 2006, 11:24 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: osiris204850

what happened with mine was i had stuff in the bottom of my tank, and if i let it go below a 1/4 tank it would suck it up, making it work harder, burning it out
I guess that was just yours but most of the failed pumps associated with gas level is when people run them really low. The gas actually cools the pump and when you run them low the pump is no longer submerged in fuel and it overheats and fails.

Best thing you can do is not run the truck below a 1/4 of a tank and change your fuel filter according to the maintenence schedule.

As far as second pumps failing I have actually seen it a few times. Not sure why it happens. I guess it's just GMs shatty pumps. I would suggest you run AC Delco pumps. Just my .02
Old November 4th, 2006, 2:08 PM
CF Beginner

i'm just gonna keep my tank topped off from now on. see where that goes.
Old November 4th, 2006, 3:53 PM
CF Junior Member

who put the pump in? whoever it was screwed it up. I had a dealer put a pump in and either not get the hight set right or they bent the pick up cause i would run out of gas with a quarter tank left in the truck.
I would take it back and raise hell with them till they fix it..... crap azz wanabe mechanics
Old November 5th, 2006, 10:11 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: carpenterbill

who put the pump in? whoever it was screwed it up. I had a dealer put a pump in and either not get the hight set right or they bent the pick up cause i would run out of gas with a quarter tank left in the truck.
I would take it back and raise hell with them till they fix it..... crap azz wanabe mechanics
First, you sure are quick to blame and say the pump was installed wrong without even being their.
Second, what year and model vehicle was yours that they put a fuel pump in?

If it's anything new than their is no way of adjusting the height or bending the pickup tube. The fuel pump only sits at one height and it suck fuel through the bottom of it through a screen. Thier is no tube to adjust or set the pump height.

Also making fun of mechanics that were working on YOUR vehicle is pretty funny. If your such the PERFECT mechanic than you would have fixed it yourself.
Old November 5th, 2006, 12:07 PM
CF Junior Member

First, it wasn't my truck to began with it was a company truck, not one i would wrench one, I just had to drive it.

I know the pump was installed wrong because it would only take 15 gallons of gas to fill up after it ran out, when before the new pump was put in it would take a full load of 22 gallons.

and the pick up tube can be bent very easily, and if your not careful the pump can be put on the pick up wrong( this must be something YOU have never worked on before or you would know).

second it was a 91 1500 4x4 z71 ext cab.

You know not everyone ONLY drives there own vehicles, sometimes you have to deal with other peps and there decisions as to who works on there vehicle's
Old November 28th, 2006, 2:04 PM
CF Beginner

My factory pum went at 120,000. My cousin put in an after market that lasted about a year 30,000 miles. truck died up north had towed and 800.00 later I had a gm new pump put back in. I dont have any facts but many of people said use factory origional only.

Quick Reply: fuel pumps??