Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

A good price?

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2009, 9:40 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A good price?

Ok, sorry if this is in the wrong section. Feel free to move if necessary.

Well I have a 2008 NBS. It's a 5.3 V8, 2wd, Crew Cab, Greystone Metallic Silverado. It is the Lt/2 model and It has the california package on it as well. (Tire upgrade, railing system in bed etc) it also has a linex spray in bedliner. It has around 21700 miles on it. Ive had it for 12 months or so. The sticker price on it was around 36,000. It's a really nice truck in beautiful condition. But I'm thinking of selling it. How much do you think a reasonable price for it is? Thanks for the help.

Last edited by mmjsport; November 22nd, 2009 at 9:42 PM.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 3:26 AM
CF Junior Member

Oh and the main reason I'm asking is because I want to get a new truck, basically the same truck (color, size etc) but a fully loaded 09 4x4. And I don't know if the dealer will give me what I want for it in a trade-in. So just trying to get some opinions on what is good. Thanks.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Cool

It's the nature of the beast for the dealerships to buy low and sell high. Most new vehicles depreciate @5000$ the moment you drive them off the lot. My best guess is the dealership is going to low-ball you at about 22K, trying to flip you over on the financing, while simultaneously hitting you with the 4X4's options package cost. In any event, you'll have more leverage if you can walk away(sign NOTHING) from the first negotiation.

Try not to let them jerk you around too much, either. One of their favorite stunts is to leave you sitting around the salesman's office for hours to make you feel like you have something personal invested, which you don't. If you have to wait more than two minutes, leave, and call them back later.

Accordingly, you're probably going to be able to sell it privately for more than if you were to trade it in, just not as quickly as you may want.(especially with the lagging economy)

One approach would be to see what you're offered on a trade-in, to which you can probably tack on a few thousand in a private sale.

One way of protecting your vehicle's trade value is to lease or get a large payment schedule. My experience is things mysteriously retain their value better when the BANK still owns a large piece of 'em...

Letting them know you're comparing them to the competition will help them to lower their prices, too.("Well, I like the gas economy of the[insert name brand here]Crewcab better, but the Chevy Crewcab is roomier...")

Last edited by therewolf; November 23rd, 2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 7:55 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks alot for the advice. Yeah I'm looking into getting the 0% for 72 months as well. But we will see how it goes. Thanks again.