Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Guv lok gernade

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2011, 11:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guv lok gernade

Hi all,

New to your post so if I screw up feel free to correct me.

I have an 00 1500 Z-71, 4x4, 5.3 vortech, 173000m

Not a bad truck but it starting to have a couple issues.

So as you can tell from the title the diff. exploded without warning.
I changed the fluid last summer with oem fluid(got it from dealer) old fluid looked o.k. no shavings. no leaks. no clunking when you put it in gear, no whine as you rolled.

My ring and pinion are intact.
I have called around and if a bone yard has it they must not want to sell it.
Diff. carriers are going for 650 and whole rear axle assemblies are going for 1100 plus

was wondering what is out there that is fairly inexpensive durable to throw in her so I can get her rolling again.

Yes I have looked at eaton and auburn, and have thought about a spool(but then I would have to eliminate the C clips
nad YES I have the tools and experience but I haven't played with cars for 15 years

Thanks

Last edited by tswiczko; January 25th, 2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old January 25th, 2011, 11:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anything that is wide enough. Doesnt have to be a GM rear end. Ford makes the dynamic 9" which was in everything over 4000lbs and the 1/2ton and up trucks. Look for a junkyard that has a bunch of 70s car stacked up and pick 2 or 3 of them. You can pick the carrier or used the whole thing and re use the 6 lug axle shafts from your car.
Old January 26th, 2011, 6:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Racer.

But I'm on a tight budget and would like to keep my current set up with rear disks..

I just ordered another Grenade lock from e-bay I bid 95 on it' Hope it isn't too worn out when I get it. time will tell though.

I called all around here, and no one wants to part out a rear end, and the bone yard wants 1100+ for a whole rear axle assembly
Old January 26th, 2011, 10:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Whats cheaper than a rear end from a 1985 Oldsmobile 98? All you want is the carrier. And if you take the entire rear end you would have to keep your axles anyway because no one put 6 lugs on cars in them days.

You have to find a U-pull it yard.

Bro I used to work for a fleet service company that had a contract with UHaul to service their trucks. Same thing. Scavenge one truck to save another. Thats where you need to be, a fleet truck yard. See what junk they have around there.