Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Head Bolt Question

Search this Thread

Old November 16th, 2011, 3:01 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Head Bolt Question

Hey everyone just had a simple question about my head bolts. I have maybe a total of about 5-10 run time with the head bolts i have on my engine right now and i have a problem with my head gasket, im just wondering if i could get away with reusing the same head bolts again. I've read and some people say never to reuse the same head bolts after they have been torqued and some people have said that its ok. i thought i would just get some input from everyone here.

The motors a 89 350 bored .30 over
Old November 16th, 2011, 8:21 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

I have replaced a few head gaskets and have allways used the same bolts,just torque them to specs.and you should be ok.This is only my opinion,others may say different.
PS- I don't know if you just had a bad gasket or whether you had the heads done too but if you are only replacing the gasket,its allways a good idea to have the heads checked at a machine shop.
Mando
Old November 16th, 2011, 1:32 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks mando yeah i had machine work done on them i think the head gasket didn't seal right or something for some reason. i haven't taken the heads back off yet, but i should be getting them off today. thanks again for the help